'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [33v] (69/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
SAMAIH.— Place with water, from which Sheikh of Katar made attack
on Bainnon in 1888.
QAMVH—Place fixed as rendezvous by Chiefs of Ahu Dhabi and Dabai,
when preparing to march together against Chief of Katar in 1889.
S iMEYAH. Place from which Chief of Aba Dbabi fii.ally started to
invade Katar in 1889. Is this same as last ?
SEHADTH. Third stage on eastern route from Bereymi to Hasa.
SEYKHAH.—Place within 5 days of Katar where Chief of Abu Bhab^
was to have been joined for his invasion of Katar in 1889 by Awamir, Beroo
and other allies. . /. n tx
S HA All (AL BTJ).—A branch of the Manasir (?) : Dependent on Chief of
Abu Dhabi and made a raid on Katar Bedouins at Naijah in 1885.
SHABUS.—Village in little bay on south-west side of Ghubbat Sbabns, an
opening on east side of Musandam peninsula between Malcolm Inlet and Buhat
Shisa. There are 2 hamlets (what names ?) in north part of same opening.
SIIAHBAGHUL.—Village in Dhafreh taken by Chief of Katar during
his great raid in 1888-89,
SHAMALIYA. —Coast of Oman peninsula from Has ul Kbaima to Abu
Dhabi, so called from its exposure to Shamal or north-wester.
SHAMEILIYA.—Littoral tract on east side of Oman promontory, from
Mureir to Dibba inclusive, lying between the Batina tract on the south and
that of Buus el Jebel on the north. Tho plain between mountains and sea
becomes narrower from south to north and 16 miles north of Khor Kalba
hills come down close to sea. Coast line is formed of cliffs with sandy bays
in which are villages and date groves. Tributary to Sharga. (3)—(10).
SHAR-IA.—At head of indentation of this name in east side of Ruus el
Jebel promontory, between Dibba and Lima, is small village ( what name ?)
with date grove on south side.
SHARG A.—Town. (1) Principal place on Pirate Coast, 25° 22' north 55° 24'
east, capital of Sharga district and principality. (2) Extends for 1J miles along
east bank of small narrow creek parallel to sea and divided from sea by narrow
sand -spit. Large proportion of stone houses. At south end of town is rocky
rising ground, 30 or 40 feet high, forming bluff at south end. Country for some
distance inland is complete desert with few scattered date groves. Sbarga
creek has only one foot on bar at low water. It joins creek from Khan village.
Best landing place for Sharga is Liyah Point. (3) Several detached towers.
In 1863 Sharga was open to the sea and walled, but not strongly, on the landward
side with walls of reddish-yellow sandstone. (4) Population 4,000 (Kemball),
8,000 to 10,000 (Gulf Pilot), between 20,000 and 80,000 (Palgrave). (6) Mostly
Joasmis, Al Abu Alis and Shihiyyin ; some Sunnis, others Wahabis; with
70 British subjects, Khojas and Hindus. Zwemer says it is still a Wahabi
centre and that tobacco has to be sold secretly. (6) Sends <i50 boats to pearl
fishery. Several baghalas belong to this port and fine bakaras and batils are
built. In Palgrave's time it was principal port of west Oman, resembling
Linga as an entrepot, and unrivalled on its own coast between Bidaa and Dibba.
In 1863 it was principal mart on Pirate Coast for camels, donkeys and
slaves; there were weavers who made light red cloaks, robes, carpets and curtains,
also gold and silver-smiths. Shops were neat and well-built and there was
general air of solidity and wealth. At south end of town was market place
divided into Suks; in centre Kaisariah (long and lofty vaulted building); at
north end weavers. (7)—(10),
SHARGA. —District (1)—(4) (6). There is route from Sharga to Bereymi
in interior, distance 86 hours, see Bombay Records, XXIV, 1856; also one from
Sharka to Khadhrawain in Batina (Ross's Map of Oman). Uncertain
to what distance these lie in Sharga territory. (6)—(8).
SHARGA.—Principality. Consists of 3 districts, vie., Sharga Proper, Ras
al Khaima, and Sharki, For particulars see articles on these districts.
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [33v] (69/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000046> [accessed 4 April 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000046">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎33v] (69/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000046"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0069.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence