'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [170r] (343/576)
The record is made up of 1 volume (286 folios). It was created in 10 May 1923-9 Jan 1924. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
shall hold good and the fixed rent of Rs.30,000 shall
not be payable in respect of such delay.
Articles V. VI, VII, and YIII. As Articles X- XIII
of the original agreement, subject to correction of
the numeration of the Articles quoted therein.
Article IX. The Company shall carry on work within
the leased area with all proper zeal and diligence and
shall maintain at least two rigs in continuous opera
tion, except in so far as they may be prevented by
causes beyond their own control. In the event of the
Company failing within 5 years of the comnencement of
this lease to declare that oil has been found in
coinnercially payable quantities the Sheikh shall have
the power to call upon the Company either to give
forthwith the undertaking mentioned in the preceding
article or to abandon the lease.
Article X. In the event of the Company failing
within six months of the end of any calendar year to
pay to the Sheikh the royalties due in respect of that
calendar year or failing, save for causes beyond their
own control, to carry out their other obligations
under this lease the Sheikh shall have the power to
terminate the lease in which case the provisions of
the last sentence but one ,of Article II (i.e. the last
sentence of Article VII of the original Agreement)
Article XI, The rights conveyed by this lease shall
not be conveyed to a third party without the consent
About this item
The volume contains correspondence and telegrams between the Political Department, the Colonial Office and the Secretary of State at the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. in London, the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. at Bushire, the Political Agents at Kuwait and Muscat, local rulers, Anglo Persian Oil Company (APOC) and Eastern and General Syndicate Limited representatives on the negotiations for oil concessions in Kuwait, Bahrain, Nejd [Najd, Jubail, Saudi Arabia], Qatar, Muscat, Oman and Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. .
The volume includes documents regarding:
- Bahrain: Letter in English and Arabic from the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Gulf to Shaikh Ḥamad bin ‘Īsá Āl Khalīfah, Ruler of Bahrain, informing him that the British Government didn't approve the Bahrain Oil Concession being agreed to Major Frank Holmes, representing Eastern and General Syndicate (folios 41-42) and subsequent correspondence regarding the cancellation of this concession (folios 125-126) and the agreement with APOC;
- Kuwait: Draft Agreements between Shaikh Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ, Ruler of Kuwait, and D'Arcy Exploration Company limited, on the oil exploration license in Kuwait (draft agreement 20 June 1923 on folios 51-60; draft agreement 6 September 1923 on folios 157-171 and draft agreement 18 November 1923 on folios 198-210; in Arabic on folios 229-235) and minutes of a meeting to discuss it (folios 61-64A); correspondence between the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait and the ruler of Kuwait, regarding contacts being made with Major Holmes and Eastern and General Syndicate, in Arabic with English translation (folios 83-89).
- Najd: Report on Najd Oil Concession by J.B. Mackie (folios 31-33); letter from Āl Sa‘ūd, ‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal (Ibn Sa‘ūd), Sultan of Najd, to the High Commissioner for Iraq dated 21 May 1923, in Arabic with English translation, regarding oil exploration being granted to Eastern and General Syndicate (folios 76-78).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (286 folios)
The documents in the volume are arranged in chronological order. There is an index at the beginning of the volume, on folio 3.
- Physical characteristics
The main foliation is in pencil, encircled, in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio. The numbering begins on the first folio after the front cover, on number 1, then 2-63; 64A and 64B; 65-195; 196A and 196B and it carries on to the last folio, ending on 284. There is another foliation sequence, which is incomplete.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [170r] (343/576), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/619, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x000090> [accessed 27 January 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x000090">'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [‎170r] (343/576)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x000090"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x000251/IOR_R_15_1_619_0345.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast'
- front, front-i, 1r:15v, 21r:27v, 37r:53v, 64br:64bv, 65r:75v, 77r:78v, 81r:82v, 84r:85v, 87r:97v, 101r:107v, 109r:109v, 113r:115v, 118r:129v, 133r:135v, 137r:139v, 152r:153v, 156r:173v, 176r:178v, 184r:195v, 196ar:196bv, 197r:198v, 211r:224v, 227r:228v, 236r:238v, 245r:249v, 252r:265v, 268v, 269v:275r, 281r:284v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence