‘File 12/14 Shipping. Miscellaneous accidents between dhows and steamers’ [6v] (12/60)
The record is made up of 1 file (28 folios). It was created in 13 Nov 1943-23 Jun 1949. It was written in English, Arabic and Persian. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
About this item
The file comprises correspondence concerning three cases involving dhows, as follows:
- correspondence relating to a collision between a Bahrain-registered dhow and an Anglo-Iranian Oil Company tug at Khorramshahr in November 1943. Much of the follow-up correspondence concerns the seizure by the Iranian authorities of passports belonging to two Bahrainis who travelled to Khorramshahr to assist in affairs following the collision, and the Bahrain authorities’ efforts to have the passports returned. Principal correspondents in the case include: the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. at Bahrain (Major Tom Hickinbotham); the British Consul at Khorramshahr; the Adviser to the Bahrain Government (Charles Dalrymple Belgrave) (ff 2-15);
- correspondence dated 1944 relating to an enquiry made by an Indian company, Kanayalal Deepchand Hinduja, seeking the whereabouts of their vessel, the Fathel Rahman , missing while travelling from Bombay to Basra, with the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. at Bahrain reporting, after enquiries made with the Customs Director at Bahrain and the Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. Agent at Sharjah, that nothing is known of the vessel (ff 16-21);
- correspondence dated June 1949 relating to an incident taking place off the coast of Sharjah/Dubai, in which a dhow engine caught fire, resulting in the death of one crew member and the injury of another, the latter taken on board HMS Flamingo for medical care. The principal correspondent in this case is the Senior Naval Officer in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. (Captain P Skelton) (ff 22-27).
- Extent and format
- 1 file (28 folios)
The file’s contents are arranged in approximate chronological order, from the earliest item at the front to the latest at the end. The file notes at the end of the file (ff 28-29) mirror the chronological arrangement.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 30; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is also present in parallel between ff 2-20; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English, Arabic and Persian in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘File 12/14 Shipping. Miscellaneous accidents between dhows and steamers’ [6v] (12/60), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/1384, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100026274371.0x00000d> [accessed 12 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026274371.0x00000d">‘File 12/14 Shipping. Miscellaneous accidents between dhows and steamers’ [‎6v] (12/60)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026274371.0x00000d"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000282.0x000077/IOR_R_15_2_1384_0012.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘File 12/14 Shipping. Miscellaneous accidents between dhows and steamers’
- front, front-i, 2r:2v, 4r:7v, 10r:12v, 14r:15v, 18r:18v, 20r:29v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence