Coll 30/21(2) 'Persian Gulf: Koweit - Blockade by Ibn Saud' [152r] (314/1010)
The record is made up of 1 volume (501 folios). It was created in 14 May 1935-27 Sep 1937. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
T.Y.Brenan, Esq., QBE.,
428 9 5000 12.35
Will you please refer io "the papers
sent oyer to you under India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. printed
letter of 11th June, No.P.z.3968/36, and
connected correspondence about the Koweit
The draft regulations prepared by the
Sheikh in conjunction with the Political
Agent at Koweit seem to cover fairly
adequately the points raised by Fuad
in the course of his conversations on
this subject with Sir Andrew Ryan at
Riyadh; and we think they offer a
favourable basis for discussion with
the Saudi Government. The regulations,
when they have assumed a final form
acceptaole both to the Saudi Government
and to the Sheikh of Koweit, will ho
parooumably have to be embodied in 8r
/j formal agreement, and the question will
arise as to the form which this agreement
should take. Qur previa
that an exchange of notes between the
Saudi Government and His J^jesty f s
Government on behalf/6f the Sheikh of
Koweit will be editable, but this
question wifi no doubt require further
consideration and the most suitable way
of pdsaling with it would seem to be for
fra-tro an i n-f^wrift 1 m nnt 1 n> W 1 ‘Hi ^
About this item
This volume contains correspondence related to a trade blockade that was imposed on Kuwait by the Ruler of Saudi Arabia, Ibn Saud [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd] and more generally concerning relations between Britain, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
The correspondence in the volume consists of internal correspondence between British officials (including at the Foreign Office, India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , the British Legation in Jeddah and the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Kuwait) as well as correspondence between British officials and the Ruler of Kuwait, Shaikh Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah and officials from the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The file also contains English language translations of letters that were passed between the Kuwaiti and Saudi Arabian delegations at negotiations mediated by Britain in June 1935.
In addition to correspondence, the file contains the following:
- Treaty of Friendship and "Bon Voisinage", Protocol of Arbitration and Extradition Treaty between Iraq & Hejaz and Nejd and Dependencies (folios 49-52)
- 'Draft Regulations For Trading Between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia' (folios 161-165)
- Account of Discussions at Riyadh by Andrew Ryan, 1935 (folios 232-237)
- Political Department Secret Memorandum entitled 'The Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. ' (folios 292-293)
- 'Notes on Kuwait-Saudi Blockade Discussions' (folios 358-363)
- 'Note on the discussions between the Saudi delegates and the Kuwait Representatives, as They Took Place Each Day', June 1935 (folios 371-377)
- 'Note on the Discussions between Saudi Delegates and Kuwait Representatives' (folios 380-390)
- 'Record of Fourth Meeting with Fuad Bey Hamza at the Foreign Office on July 5, 1935' (folios 399-401)
The volume includes a divider, which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (501 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the first folio with 1 and terminates at the last folio with 497; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. The foliation sequence does not include the front and back covers, nor does it include the leading and ending flyleaves. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 30/21(2) 'Persian Gulf: Koweit - Blockade by Ibn Saud' [152r] (314/1010), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/3733, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100044851361.0x000073> [accessed 29 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100044851361.0x000073">Coll 30/21(2) 'Persian Gulf: Koweit - Blockade by Ibn Saud' [‎152r] (314/1010)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100044851361.0x000073"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000648.0x000129/IOR_L_PS_12_3733_0314.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 30/21(2) 'Persian Gulf: Koweit - Blockade by Ibn Saud'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:ii-v, 1r:11v, 13r:95v, 97r:102v, 106r:112v, 116r:153v, 155r:181v, 183r:183v, 186r:267r, 270r:271v, 274r:302v, 306r:314v, 316r:363v, 367r:390v, 397r:431v, 435r:497v, iii-r:iv-v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence