'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Reports'
152 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of 1 file (74 folios). It was created in 1 Apr 1934-23 Jan 1935. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this record
The file contains fortnightly intelligence summaries written by the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Percy Gordon Loch, or an individual officiating in his absence. The reports, marked as secret, were sent to the Government of India, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , and numerous diplomatic, political, and military offices in the Middle East. Each covers either the 1-15 or the 16-30/31 days of each month from April to December 1934.
The reports are split into short sections that relate to a particular subject. Contained within the reports is intelligence on the following:
- shipping and the activities of the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, and commercial transport companies such as Imperial Airways Limited;
- the movements of British and Foreign subjects, and Arab notables;
- countries of the region, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Persia [Iran], and the Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. ;
- trade and the pearling and oil industries;
- other third parties, such as Cable and Wireless Limited;
- the weather and climate.
Folios 71-75 are internal office notes.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (74 folios)
The file is arranged chronologically.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 76; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 1-75; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Former external reference(s)
- 1 Apr 1934-23 Jan 1935 (CE, Gregorian)
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
Use and share this record
- Share this record
'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Reports', British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/311, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000116> [accessed 20 March 2019]
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Reports'
- front, front-i, 2r:75v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence