‘Office Orders II’
374 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of 1 volume (184 folios). It was created in 5 Oct 1937-21 Oct 1949. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this record
The volume comprises orders made by the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. at Bahrain, pertaining to the administration of the Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. , and in some cases to the administration of the Victoria Memorial Hospital. The file is a direct chronological continuation of the file ‘Office Orders. Vol.1 (Closed)’ (IOR/R/15/2/1984). Orders are numbered, dated, and in most cases signed by or on behalf of the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. .
The volume includes:
- orders registering the appointment, discharge, dismissal, resignation, and leave (including sick leave) of various individuals employed in the Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. (or Victoria Memorial Hospital), including sweepers, peons, doorkeepers, farashes, clerks, munshis, and those associated with the Agency’s motor launch;
- orders relating to the salaries of Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. staff, including salary increases and allocation of dearness allowance, to offset the increased cost of living during the Second World War;
- an order, dated 14 March 1942, relating to remittances to the Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. Agent at Sharjah (f 48);
- orders, dated 1945, outlining important points of office procedure for clerks in the Agency’s English and Vernacular Offices (f 71, f 73);
- an order detailing the summer and winter ‘liveries’ (clothing) to be issued to ‘inferior staff’ (i.e. menial establishment staff) at the Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. for summer and winter (ff 77-78);
- orders relating to judicial and court procedures.
A large portion of the volume has been left blank (ff 95-185). The last dated entry, dated 18 September 1949 (f 93) is followed by a number of further orders, which refer to dates in December 1949 and February 1950, but which are themselves undated.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (184 folios)
The volume’s contents are arranged in approximate chronological order, from the earliest items at the front to the latest on ff 93-94. The volume includes an incomplete index of office orders for 1943 (f 61), listing orders by their number, with date and description given.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 185; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
Pagination: the volume also contains a handwritten pagination sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- 5 Oct 1937-21 Oct 1949 (CE, Gregorian)
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
- People & organisations
Use and share this record
- Share this record
‘Office Orders II’, British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/1985, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000000282.0x0002d0> [accessed 16 December 2019]
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘Office Orders II’
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:184v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence