'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [13v] (29/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
DA iFIS —Grassy, watered vale in Dhafreli district, two days from the
K e^ visited in'season for pasture by Manasir, Awamir, Eeni Yas, Beui Kattab,
Mizariveh (?) and Gbafileh nomads. There is brackish water in deep wells.
Ground is low with acacias, scrub and grass.
DABAI.—Town. (1) Last southwards on Pirate Coast about 7 miles
south of Sharga ; independent. (2) A little back from shore and higher than
most towns on this coast, being 20 feet above sea; date-grove behind town
extends 1 mile to south of it. Sheikh's house is high square castle with tall
round tower at south-west corner. Eeef stretches from Dabai some distance
towards Abu Hail. Creek with shallow and difficult entrance passes town and
extends for miles to south-east. Palgrave described Dabai as unfortified,
strac^ling village with gardens, wells, and many boats. (3) Sheikh's tower and
8 o/y smaller towers in town and suburbs. (4) Population with Deira suburb
5.000 to 6,000 (Gulf Pilot, 1893), 3,000 to 4,000 (Kemba.ll, 1903), with 50 or CO
Hindus and Khojas. Zwemer says population is now 15,000 at least. He calls
it a growing town and the real metropolis of North Oman. (5) Abu Felasa
section of Beni Yas, belonging to Maliki sect. (6) Sends 150 boats to pearl
fleet which employed on other fisheries in winter. Present Chief intelligent,
and town increasing. Curzon says dried fish, pearls and dates are exported.
Steamers of Bombay and Persia Steam Navigation Co. call regularly and port
is supplanting Linga as entrepot for Arab Coast. (7) Presh water in wells
behind town; cattle and poultry procurable. (8)—10). Uncertain what
are boundaries of Chief's authority. Kemballsays it only extends inland short
wav, but that Chief could command services of some Bedouins of interior.
p ? —Small village with date trees sprung up few years since,
4 miles south-west of Dabai—see Gulf Pilot, 1898, page 94.
DALMA.—(1) South point 24° 27' N. 52° 19' E. Lies almost on line
from Abu Dhabi to Khor-al-Odaid twice as far from former as from latter.
^2) Elliptical with long axis north and south and narrow projection at south
end; length 5, breadth 2^, miles. (3) Hilly with very low, narrow plain at south
end, highest point 211 feet. (4) Plenty of brackish water in wells, many goats.
Red oxide said to exist. (5) 15 families located in little village and tower on
west eoast of plain Bazaar and large temporary population in summer, as
pearlers resort here for water. Great centre} for pearl boats and one of princi
pal pearl markets in Gulf. (6) Trucial Chiefs' Territory. (7) Abu Dhabi.
DEIRA.—(1) Suburb of Dabai town (q.v ). (2) Stands opposite main
town on east bank of entrance to Dabai Creek. All mat huts. (3) Few
towers on north side. (1) Population 400. (5) Suidan refugees who left
Sharga in 1826. (6)—(10).
DHABI (ABU) —Town. (1) 24° 29' K £4° 21}' E At western base of
Oman promontory, independent town, capital of principality extending to Khor-
al-Odaid. (2) On a low shore, all white sand, without vegetation except few
stunted date trees one mile inland of town. Town extends two miles along
shore; huts of matting with several conspicuous stone buildings. Laffan creek
and Abu Dhabi creek, three miles west of town, unite and make island of land
on which town stands: one ford, called Maktaa, to mainland at low water.
Abu Dhabi creek, three miles wide at entrance, unexplored, reaches perhaps 20
miles into interior. Large vessels anchor 2 to 2| miles out. Por anchorage see
plan on chart No. 2S37A. (3) Small fort with six towers close together and
small tower on beach, (t) Population 4,000 fluctuating (Kemhall, i903) ; not
over 10,00') (Zwemer, 1902) ; 20,000 (Gulf Pilot, 1898) ; also CO Hindu traders,
or (according to Zwemer) a dozen Banyans from Sind. (5) Beni Yas (6)
Sends 600 boats to pearl fishery and at other seasons Abu Dhabi fishing boats
lound everywhere to Khor-al-Odaid. Pearl-fishing, date-growing, and camel-
transport are chief means of livelihood. (7) Water brackish, good water brought
for sale from Dabai. Cattle obtainable. (8)— (10).
DIIABI (ABU).—-Principality. (1) Limits are on west. Khor-al-Odaid; east,
Bereyrai; N, ? S. ? (2) (3). Between Dabai and Abu Dhabi shore is low and uni-
iorm in appearance with tufts of grass growing on sand-hillocks, intersected by
creeks and in parts bj extensive swamps. No tree larger than mangrove bush. No
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [13v] (29/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00001e> [accessed 19 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00001e">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎13v] (29/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00001e"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0029.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence