'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [23v] (49/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
KAHSHA.—Place in Dibba Bay. See Admiralty Chart No. 753 ; one
mile north of Dibha; has 120 inhabitants.
KATAN.—Marked in Philip's Map of Arabia some distance inland, half
way between Abu Dhabi and Katar.
KATTAB (BENI).—Is this same tribe as in Oman ?
KAWA (JEBEL),— See Runs el Jebel.
KAWAIN (UMM-UL).—Town. (1) On Pirate Coast about half-way
between Has ul Khaima and Sharga : independent town. (2) Tolerably clean
and well-built. On a peninsula which runs nearly east and west between sea
on north and creek on south. Creek is 6 to 8 fathoms deep at town, but
entrance is 2 miles distant to N.-N.-E. and carries only 2 feet at low water :
nor can depth of 5 fathoms be found on seaward side nearer to town than
1 mile. (3) W T all across isthmus, with 3 towers, also other towers. (4) Popu
lation 800 to 1,000—more in pearling season—including few Banyans. (5)
Al Bu Ali tribe. (6) Sends large number of boats to pearl fishery. Trade
carried on mostly by Banyans. (7)—(10). -It is not clear whether
any district is attached to town, nor whether there are subject Tillages,
Bombay Records, XXIV, 1856, mentions " four villages".
KAWI (KIIOR).—Strait between Ghanam Island and mainland 2 miles
long, 3 cables wide at north and south entrances and 5 cables wide at mid
dle. Soundings are 15 to 19 fathoms, sand and gravel without hard rock.
A well-sheltered, safe and commodious anchorage, defensible, and well sui
ted for naval flying-base,
KHABAL.—Place belonging to the Nairn, burnt by the Beni Yas
KHABB.—-Is this same as Kabba ? Village visited by Palgrave, in a
retired bay of Oman promontory.
KHAIMA (RAS-AL).—Town. (1) On Pirate Coast in 25° 48' N. 55®
57' E., chief town of Ras al Khaima district of Sharga. (2) Houses chieflv
stone. Square buildings higher than rest belong to Sheikhs of Ras al
Khaima. Town occupies two miles (?), beginning from tip of sandy spit,
about 5^ miles in length, which points north-east. There is long narrow bay
between promontory and mainland, connected with sea also by back, water
about 4 miles long beginning IJ miles south of Rams. Plain between town
and hills, about 6 miles broad, but increases in width very rapidly to south
ward. One mile south-west of Ras al Khaima begin high reddish sandhills
which extend past Hamra. Country in vicinity is flat and sandy. Bay
between town and mainland forms harbour for native boats; only 2 feet of
water on entrance at low water, but 9 after passing it. Opposite town com
mences dense date grove extending far inland and continuing along coast to
Rams. Anchorage for vessels of size is 2^ to 3 miles north-west of town.
(oj Town is protected on land side by wall with 2 square towers across isthmus s
and there is detached tower near commencement of red sandhills. C4) Ponu-
lation 4,000 to 5,000 (Gulf Pilot, 1898); 1,500 (Kemball 1903). (5) Joasmis,
Shihiyym Zaal, and Mutansh, and 9 or 10 Hyderabadis. (6) Many boats and
baghalas belong to this port, and about 20 go to pearl-fishery, (7) Water
uncertain ; cattle, vegetables and fruit obtainable. (8)—(10).
,, KHAIMA (RAS AL).—District. (1) Boundaries, north Eas Shaikh
Masud (?); west the sea ; E ? S? (2) Sub-divisions, natural or administra-
^ IV - e ^™P* to wns are Ras al Khaima, Hamra, Rams, and Shuam; villages,
Zai, Tibba, Ghamtha, Fudar, Bakha, Jadi, and Jiri. (3) Consists of a moun
tainous portion, part of the Ruus el .Tebel, which on west side runs almost north
and south, till at Shuam the coast begins to trend south-west, leaving between
the sea and the mountains a wedge-shaped plain with its point to the north and
hroad base in the neighbourhood of Ras al Khaima town. (4) (6) (7b)
Sluhiyyin and Joasmi. (8/) Governed by a deputy of Sheikh of Sharga. '
oi Kn . A] ^: ^ ow l ?• p-) 9 n ^ ra ^ e coast, about 2| miles south-west of
Sharga, in feharga district. ^ (2) On north side of small inlet, one branch of
which runs north-east and joins Sharga back-water, while other turns south
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [23v] (49/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000032> [accessed 10 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000032">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎23v] (49/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000032"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0049.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence