'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [73v] (149/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
BARIl (H AS - A L).—Southern extremity of Bahrein Island.
BASAITIN.—Small fishing village on Muharrak Island 2 miles north of
33IC1IA.—Town mentioned by Hitter as belonging to the Bahrein (Volume
12, page 395).
BIDIA.--Small village with tower at north-west corner of Bahrein
CHA ABAN.—A tribe accustomed to visit the Chief of Bahrein for presents
hut residing, perhaps, on the mainland.
DAIEt.—Ruined site on Muharrak Island believed by Arabs to be that of a
church. Is this same as Dir below ?
DEYAH. Marked in "Whish's survey on north side of Muharrak Island.
Is this same as Dir below ?
DIBAL (FASHT -AD).—Shoal, 5 miles in length north and south by 2|
miles broad, about equidistant from Katar and Muharrak Island.
X)IIl. Small village with date clump, slightly to west of northernmost
point of Muharrak Island.
DUKHAN (JEBEL).—See Bahrein Island.
DULAB. Or Tholab. See Admiralty Plan No. 20, about miles south-
south'east of Bufaa.
gen AHAT.—Arab tribe at Bahrein.
GRAHEE.—Village. See Bent's Map, 1| miles south-south-east of Bidia.
iiadd— Townat south-east extremity of Muharrak Island. Douglas
states population at 20,000. Most ot inhabitants arc employed in pearl 6shery.
South-east from Hadd, about J mile oil shore, is an islet on reef with fresh
water spring called Bu Shahin. Admiralty Plan No. 20 shows a village and a
group of huts (both unnamed) as situated on the reef about 4 mile and 1 a -
miles respectively south of Hadd.
II ALAT-AN-NAMUS.—Pishing village, on point of same name, 1 mile
cast of Manama.
HANAINI.—Village on plain below fort, between the two Ilufaas. lias
well 20 fathoms deep containing best and " lightest " water in Bahrein, which
is brought to Manama on camels.
HEMS.— Mentioned by Bitter (Volume 12, page S95) as a town belong
ing to Bahrein.
JASRA (RAS-AL).—At this point of Bahrein Islnnd, 2 miles south-east
of Manama, is village (what name ?) with detached date-groyc and fresh water
spring on beach below high-water level.
JAU.— Extensive ruins of town, formerly residence of Sheikhs, on east
side of Bahrein Island about 12 miles from south end of island. It was
abandoned in 1800 for want of a sheltered port and inhabitants transferred to
JEFEYR. Place marked in Whish's Survey near Ras al Jasra (see above).
JELLAHAT-AL-BAHREIN ( or AL-EERINGI.)—Portuguese Fort on
Bahrein Island is so marked in Whish's Survey.
JEMI.— Small date clump with a few huts 1J miles south of Kalali and
just north of Iladd.
KAISER.—Arab tribe at Bahrein.
KALALI. Eishing village, with square tower on sandy hillock, at north
east corner of Muharrak Island, f mile north-east of it is islet of Arza.
KALIYA (KGOR).—Inlet situated immediately south of Muharrak
Island, between it and north-east end of Bahrein Island. The entrance, on the
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [73v] (149/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000096> [accessed 20 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000096">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎73v] (149/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x000096"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0149.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence