Skip to item: of 286
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎75v] (153/286)

The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

34
south-east, is narrow with au average depth in midchannel of about 25 feet, but
either it nor the basin have been thoroughly examined. The depth of the
basin, which is 4 miles long, 1 to 2 miles broad and perfectly sheltered from
all winds, exceeds in many places 20 feet. The Khor communicates on the
north-west with the open sea by a long, narrow and shallow ohannol which
passes between the towns of Muharrak and Manama.
KAEBABAD,—Village close to eastward of Portuguese Fort.
KASHASH.—Bocky reef off Kalali village on which are 2 fresh water
springs.
KHALID (BENI).—Arab tribe at Bahrein.
KHALIFA (AL).—Tribe to which ruling family at Bahrein belong.
KHASEIFA.—Small rocky islet off Muharrak Island about 3| cables
north of Dir; between it and shore are 3 fresh water springs, uncovered at low
tide, from which village is supplied with water.
KHATHA.—Town mentioned by Hitter (vol. 12, page 395) as belonging
to Bahrein and being a place where good spears are made.
KHOR FASHT.—Reef of coral about 6^ miles north-west of Bahrein
Island. On it is remarkable spring 3 feet below sea at low water from which
TVhish obtained 700 gallons of perfectly fresh water in a day in 1859. Pearl
fishers use this spring in the season, but in the cold weather it is closed up
by the natives.
KIBLIYA (AL).—Name given by natives to Portuguese Fort.
KOEFIH (UMM).—Place with wells 20 fathoms deep, from which drink-
ing water is brought to Manama.
M All AM A (AL KABIR).—Village on east coast of Bahrein Island, short
distance south of south end of Sitra Island. (Whish spells the name Mahamir,
and Admiralty Plan No. 20 gives Mabana).
MAHAMA (AS SAGIIIR).—Small fishing village at south end of Sitra
Island.
MAHANDE (AL).—Arab tribe at Bahrein.
MAHTR (BIT). —Fresh water spring from which Muharrak town is
chiefly supplied. It lies in sea ^ mile east-south-east of fort and has always a
fathom of salt water over it. Whish says the water is warm and is drawn off
by a bamboo with hose attached.
MANAMA.—Town. (1) At the north-east corner of Bahrein Island in lat.
26 14 N. and long. 50 35 E. (2) At west end in 1862 was large square mass
of white building forming residence of Governor of town. Palgrave found first
aspect dingy, quarter next beach being three-fourths occupied by sailors' and
fishermen's cabins. He gives dimensions of town, as IJ miles in length (accord
ing to Bent nearly 2 miles and to Gulf Pilot only f mile) along beach and i
mile deep inland; and level as 12 feet and less above sea. Cabins of palm-leaf
formed majority of houses; they were of varying size and arranged mostly in
streets and rows. There were some houses of brick and stone in Persian (Bent
calls it Saracenic borrowed from Uasa) style with latticed windows and balconies,
but 2 ere falling into decay. At centre of town was market-place, a covered
square with labyrinth of shop lanes, some vaulted, surrounding it. There were
at least 20 coffee-houses in the town, mostly near the beach ; and several mosques
(Bent calls them barnlike with low minarets) mostly Shiah, rest Sunni. Behind
town was level plain of saltish soil, barren and often swampy. Gulf Pilot adds
that landing is inconvenient except at high water, there being (1898) no niers
or wliaryes; the shore reetbemg very shelving boats cannot get within J- mile
fJu® t L « 0 M and 'i 0 !! yS aCe used t0 laud Passengers and unload
goods. (3) llie Sheikh s house at the west end is a semi-fortified building (4)
p0pula ':r " s 25 ' 000 > Gul£ as 8.000 and Zwemer as 10,000.
, f hfS. Tt yatlS ' -S IExports consist chiefly of pearls and dates, but also
cottou &all -cletb ( grain, mats, wool, cattle and a few fine horses aud

About this item

Content

The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).

The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.

Extent and format
1 volume (140 folios)
Arrangement

There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.

Physical characteristics

Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎75v] (153/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00009a> [accessed 24 October 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00009a">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [&lrm;75v] (153/286)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00009a">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0153.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image