Skip to item: of 286
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎99v] (201/286)

The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

4G
belt alongcoast and their produce exceeds in quantity if it does not equal in quality
those of Hfisa. The palms grow largely in brackish water but are not injur
iously affected. The date groves are interspersed with marshes. (6) [h) No
information. (7) («) Palgravc calls the district populous. Sadlier enumerated
9 separate walled towns with population of 19,360 and 7 unwalled villages with
population of 5,840, total 25,200. Cassim Izedin says the Caza of Katif (is
this coextensive with Katif district ?) contains 16 villages and 20,000 inhabi
tants. Gaskin reckons only 19 towns or villages on mainland, all with walls,
and 4 unwalled on island of Tarut; he makes total population 40,000. (5)
Among tribes are Beni Khalid, Amayir, Ejman, Beni Hajir, Al Morrah and
Mukhatiba. According to one authority the country between Katif and
Ojair is held by Uttoobees. Palgrave describes the village population as predo
minantly Arab though with a strong Persian strain ; the town people are a mar-
grel breed, largely Persian, {d) According to Cassim Izeddin all the inhabi-
tants of the " Caza of Katif " are Shiahs. ((?) Rice and fish are the principal
foods, {f) (h) (i) Gaskin estimates the fighting strength at 4,000 men. (/)
Most of these are armed with breech-loading rifles (8) Governor is a Kaim-
makam subject to Mutasarrif of Hasa. Superior officials are Turks but subor
dinate officials and Kazi are Arabs, and the Arabs are left to themselves so long
as the revenue is paid. Turks have a force of about 60 foot and 40 mounted
men distributed through the district. They have no field artillery, but there
are 2 brass and a number of iron muzzle-loading guns for which shot are sml
to be kept at Katif town and Dammam. Pilgrims to Mecca travel via Hasa.
There is a broken-down masonry aqueduct about 5 miles long in the district,
the work of rulers prior to the Wahabis. Sadlier (lS19j estimated the revenue
at 20,000 German crowns from the Jahand or war-tax (payable by villagers
and townsmen as not being liable to be summoned to arms) ; 50,000 to 60,000
from tithes of agricultural produce collected in kind ; 5,000 to 6,000 from sea
customs and lesser amounts from fishery and anchorage dues besides a small
revenue from pearl fisheries.
KATIP. lown, (1) Situnted on the coast about 37 miles north-west
of Bahrein Island and 70 miles from Ojair. (2) In 1839 dense date groves sur
rounded the town on all sides except to seaward. In 1862 it was environed by
a network of rivers and buried in an interminable succession of gardens. Town
itself was gloomy, crowded, damp and dirty. The west gate had a high stone
arch of elegant form, lianked by a wall and towers, but all ruinous and dismant
led. In IS Jo half the population resided in the fort and the remainder in
the straggling town on south side of it. The " Sarai" or government offices
and the public buildings were located in the fort, but the bazaar and residences
of most of the richer inhabitants were outside. Only the part of the
foit next the sea was occupied ; the walls and houses in the remainder
were dilapidated. According to Gulf Pilot, 1898, the town is scattered
through the date groves that surround the fort. Most of the houses are of stone
and some of thom are good. The streets are narrow and dirty, and water,
though plentiful, is of bad quality. Gaskin (1902) says the proper name of Katif
town is ivelat, and differs from Douglas in placing the fort to the west instead
ot the north of the town : except for the space adjoining the fort the town is
surrounded by date gardens. Harbour is unsatisfactory and landing inconvenient.
Boats of more than 6 feet draught cannot reach an inner berth. The largest boats
enter by a channel opposite Saihat which takes them as far as Buri Abdul Lif
Ihero is a-passage round northern side of Tarut Island, only navi-able at
high water, which joins the other from Burj Abul Lif opposite Katif town.
N tne boats even can only enter and leave convenientlv at high water Cas-
s.m Izeddin regards the anchorage between EasTanura'and Tarut Island as the
A ^ S f, yS ^ V'® '; R ' ttl for a11 T " rki ^ Government vessels!
(.5) Mam defence is the old (Wahahi ?) Fort which has a citadel ot (Por
tuguese .-;coiisti-uction at its north end. Sadlier (1810) described it as irreeular
oblong with main face to the sea; it had three gates and citadel was sunnCl
a^m^Vo^rvJd (189 ? ) SiveS ifc a bSio^d wall ind
vaids r f / • a " a . a y the sea, and a depth of 300
mo , Tn r P oi fort 18 ^niaret 80 to 100 feet hieh. According to Gas-
kin (1902) fort walls are about 20 feet high. There is aL fsmal) fori called

About this item

Content

The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).

The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.

Extent and format
1 volume (140 folios)
Arrangement

There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.

Physical characteristics

Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎99v] (201/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000002> [accessed 26 February 2020]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000002">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [&lrm;99v] (201/286)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000002">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0201.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image