'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [101v] (205/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Burj Abul Lif on a reof in front of the town. (4). In 1839 tbero were 500
houses and 500 fighting men. Douglas (1896) was unable to estimate population
but placed it between 5,000 and 12,000. Gassim Izeddin (1897) reckoned 5,000.
Ga^kin (1902) puts it at 7,000. (5) There were no Hindus or Christians in 1819.
Palgrave found the people a mongrel race with Persian blood predominating :
they were mostly Shiabs or belonged to even more heterodox sections of Islam.
Z werner also describes them as Sbiahsof Persian origin, abhorred by both Turks
and Wahabis. In Niebuhr's day, also, the inhabitants were Shiahs and were
believed to be mostly natives of or refugees frwm Bahrein. (6) In 1819 trade,
owing to unsettled state of country was trifling, chiefly with Eahrein, in spices
sugar, etc., of Indian provenance. A weekly market was held on Thursday out
side the south gate of the fort. Accordingly to Cassim Izeddin (1897) about
300 sailing ships arrive annually from Bahrein bringing sugar and rice and
taking away dates, while about 20 larger ships come yearly from Bombay
(taking 20 days on the passage) to obtain cargoes of dried dates. Steamers
seldom enter the port on account of its dangers. Date-branches, wood, reeds
and dates are exported to Bahrein. (7) Water is plentiful but not good. (8)
(9) (10). There is a Municipality but it is inefficient. Douglas mentions a few
Turkish officials in the customs, etc., and a gendarmerie about 80 strong (50
mounted, 30 foot). According to Oassim Izeddin there is a Capitaine de
Port (harbour master ?) at Katif. The revenue is £12,000 Turkish a year.
The post goes via Hasa, which carriers reach in 24 hours, to Basra which it
reaches in 7 days from Ilasa.
KEDAIH.—Walled village on Katif mainland, south of Alawamia and
north of Behari.
KELAB (BBNI).—Kahtanic tribe from Nejd early settled in Katif, now
KELAT.—Proper name of Katif town, q. v.
KELB—Arab tribe hostile to the Koreish, apparently among early settlers
KHALID (BENI).—In Niebuhr's day whole ot Hasa belonged to this
tribe, then one of the most powerful among the Arabs, and extending so far into
the desert as often to annoy caravans between Baghdad and Aleppo. The other
tribes of Hasa at that time recognised the sovereignty of the Beni Khalid.
Palgrave mentions them as a Kahtanic tribe among the first to immigrate into
Hasa ; he describes them as among most spirited and courteous of Bedouins,
and as partially civilised by contact with towns. According to the Gulf Pilot,
1898, the remnant of this once powerful tribe has become incorporated with
the A1 Ejman, between Koweit and llas-al-Ghar. In 1874 this tribe furnished
the Turkish Governor of Hasa.
k-HATT. Ihis name is said to bo applied to a coastal strip of the main
land adjoining Bahrein and including Katif.
__ . KHEWAILDIA. Walled village on mainland of Katif, south of Hillat
Mehaish and north of Jish. Is this identical with Khoeldeah which Badlier
described as an open village with 1,600 inhabitants.
, K 'JP J " E:D ' 1 As ' lown in Kiepert's Map, about 100 miles north-
west ot Katit on route to Koweit.
•ti KJ^^^E^Mentioned by Ritter as a harbour between Katif and Basra
■with the remaik, however, that it does not appear in any map.
KODAA.—One of the noblest and most high-spirited of the Kahtanic
^accordmg to lalgrave, and contributed to form the present population
KOOT. Ross gives this in a list of the towns and tillages of Hasa.
KOKA.~~Plaoe marked in Kiepert's Map about 60 miles north-west of
Katif on route to Koweit.
KRAN (JEZIKAT AL).—Island in lat. 2/° 43' north and Ion?. 49"
49 east, about 1 mile in length north-east and south-west, a few fe 6 t
above the sea, quite level and covered with brush-wood. It is 23 miles south
west oi Jaznut i'arsi and 30 miles from the coast. Frequented by fishermen
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [101v] (205/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000006> [accessed 23 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000006">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎101v] (205/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000006"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0205.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence