'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'  (283/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
700 feet liigh. In another place Palgrave calls this peak Moscharrif. Average
elevation of range may be 200 to 300 feet. It is not clear whether long
isolated rid<?e north east of Hasa, mentioned by Palgrave, is part of this
system. The isolated ridge in question is of basalt and sandstone, about 400
feet high ; it is pierced by natural caverns, which give it its name Moghor, and
re orted to by the inhabitants of Hasa for relaxation. Is this ridge the same
as Garah above ?
MOGHAZI (JEBEL).—Translated by Palgrave as " mountain of mili
tary expeditions " which ne explains by referring to the defeat of the Muslims
by the Carmathians in this neighbourhood about 287 A. H. Palgrave says it
extends for at least 100 mile* north of Hofhuf as far as Wab ; he makes
the general elevation about 1,400 feet above the sea and 400 above the desert
adjoining on the west, highest part being opposite Juniah. According to
same authority the mountains of Hasa (Mogharat as well as Moghazi) contain
here and there limestone, but main components are granite and sandstone with
occasional quartz and granite. Their sides are often eaten out into caverns
and whole look is fanciful and desolate.
MOHANNA.—Place where refugee Amayir from Katif landed in 1879.
MORKA (AL).—This tribe is found in Katif, or Hasa, and environs. See
MOOKAZEEBAH.—Tribe who in 1839 assisted the Egyptian governor
of Hasa to ravage the pastures and date groves of the Nairn. Is this identical
with any of the tribes mentioned in sub-section B.
MOOLIHEH (MAA-OOL).—Or Maa-el-Maliyah. Halting place with
well about midway between Katif town and Wab.
MOSATLAHA.—Place marked in Philip's map of Arabia about 45 miles
south of Katif town and 12 miles from coast.
MOSCHAKKER —Mentioned by Ritter as a fort standing on a high
mountain. See Mogharat.
MOTTER.—Mentioned by Zwemer as one of the principal tribes which
have submitted to the Turkish Government.
MUBARRAZ.—Town. (1) In Hasa proper. 2 or 3 miles north of
Hofhuf. (2) Surrounded by wide fields of rice and wheat, and plantations of
khalas dates. Palgrave found it of very irregular appearance, containing
many handsome houses intermixed with wretched hovels. Near Mubarraz
is a salt lake rendering some acres of ground barren ; and 100 yards north
of town is a hot spring forming a pond. In 1862 ptincipal object in the
town w^as a large and not inelegant mosque erected by the Wahabis.
(3) There was as late as l t '62 a detached fort to the west of the town
(surrounded in 1819 and 1841 by a dry ditch) but it is not mentioned by
Douglas (1896). The town was described in 1819 and lbt32 as unwalled, in
1865 as ruinous, and in 1896 as walled. (4) Sadlier estimated population at 10,000
with fighting strength of 400, Palgrave at nearly 20,000. (5) Douglas notes
that the population is entirely Arab. (6) According to Palgrave the inhabitants
represent more of the landed and less of the commercial interest than those of
Ilofhuf. Douglas says the obbas for which the district is famous are manufac
tured here. Weekly fair in 1S62 was held on Mondays, (7) (9) (10) Is head
quarters of Mudirlik of same name.
MUGHRIS. Place marked in Kiepert's Map, about 140 miles north
west of Katif on route to Koweit.
M [IKHAIIBA. According to Gulf Pilot, a tribe in nciurhbourhood of
MUK. TA (JEZIRAT-AL).—Island, close to southward oP Ras Mishaab,
about 2 miles long north-east and south-west, with cliffs 20 to 30 feet hi^h at
east end, and covered with graes and brushwood. There is no channel between
it and mainland.
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'  (283/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x00000e> [accessed 27 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x00000e">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎105] (283/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x00000e"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0213.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence