'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [123v] (245/286)
The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
height ahove high water is only 3 or 4 feet. It has a few tufts of grass and
swarms with birds, being covered in the season with their eggs and young.
There is a deposit of guano a few inches deep over surface of island.
KASR (UMM) —Plaee with a Turkishfortified post, hut no other houses, on
west bank of a creek of same name, which joins Khor-as-Sabiyah opposite Warba
Island. Umm Kasr is 10 miles south-east of Safwan and 25 to 30 miles south
east half south of Zobeir. There are no wells on the direct road between Zoheir
and Umm Kasr and caravans prefer the western road by Jebel Sanam and
Safwan, where they are plentiful. Except in caso of rain coupled with a strong
south wind the tidal flow docs not generally affect the marshes much bevond
Umm Kasr. The fort is a small rectangular enclosure for 41) men with loop*
holed mud wall and banquette inside. It is J of a mile from the creek and 7
miles by the creek from Warba Island. Close by is an old ruined fort. Umm
Kasr is a general watering place for Arabs of the desert. Iribal quarrels at the
well are frequent and often lead to bloodshed. The family of the Sheikhs of
Koweit were originally pirates with their head-quarters here, and the present
Sheikh of Koweit claims the ownership. There is a good water-supply and
grazing for sheep but not for horses,
KASR (KHOR UMM).—So styled by Kemp in his recent suryey, is
an inlet leading from the junction of the Khars (?) Abdullah and As-Sabiyah,
at the west end of Warba Island, for about 6 miles in an average north-west
direction. Opposite the Umm Kasr fort it divides into two branches—one
continuing north-west, the other running north towards Zobeir. The sound
ings between Warba Island and this point of divergence range from six to nine
fathoms and the average breadth of this section of the inlet is about ^ of
a mile. The north-west branch opposite Umm Kasr fort is, at low water,
nothing but a mud-flat with a shallow channel not more than 3 or 4 feet deep
on the west side ; while at high tide there is a wide expanse of water to the
east as far as tlie eye can reach and this extends inland, following a natural
depression of the ground, for some miles to the north-west.
KAT3AMA (DUHAT and HAS).—The innermost cove of Koweit
Bay, between Ras Asheirij and Eas Kathama. The south side of it lias a west,
south-west direction for 5 miles from the former point; the cove shoals gradually
from the entrance, which is 4 miles broad, towards the head at whic^ Jahara
village is situated. Has Kathama is a low swampy point, only just above hi^li
water, running out some three furlongs from the northern shore of the bay ^it
is protected partially by a naturally formed bank of sand along the high water
line. It is believed that the Germans wished to acquire here a plot ^of land
about 20 square miles m extent, as a terminus for the Baghdad railway. See
also under Koweit Bay.
KIIUTEI or KIIATER —Second stage from I^oweit on (? toast) route to
Basra. Distance about 15 miles from Jahara.
KOWEIT.—Principality. (1) Boundaries are somewhat indeterminate
except on east, where formed by Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. . Sheikh claims Safwan on
north and llafr oa west and Bombay Records (probably on authority of Brucks
1825) state that his authority extends as far south as Khor KhufiTa^ee
(? Khafji). Palgrave in 1863 carried the Koweit boundary in his map al o«t
*0 miles south, 30 miles west and 60 miles north of the town. Pellv in 1865
considered the country within a radius of 8 or 10 miles only to belong to Sheikh
of Koweit; at another lime he placed the south boundary at Malah, about 15
miles south-south-east of Koweit. In the present precis, all places north of Ras
Mishaab and south of Koweit have been provisionally included in the Koweit
sub-section; also all places on the west and north as far as Ilafr and Safwan res
pectively. (2) Names of districts are not known, unless, following Pclly Ad an
in which Koweit town stands, Shug to the south of it, and Debeneh which possi
bly includes loth the others (3) The physical geography of various portions is
described under lailaka, Bubiyan, etc. To begin from the north there
is a desert south of Salphoon (? Safwan) with pebbles and iun -le-erass
alternating, and here and there shallow beds of nullahs. Towards the Khor-
as-Sabiya the mainland is a sandy waste impregnated with salt, with here
a id there a few tufts of brushwood. At 9 hours south by west of Salphoon
About this item
The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).
The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (140 folios)
There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [123v] (245/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000032> [accessed 19 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000032">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎123v] (245/286)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206839.0x000032"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0249.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:11v, 13r:105r, 107v:141v, back-i, 105:106, 106:107
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence