Letter from Lewis Pelly, Belgrave Mansions, Grosvenor Gardens to Lord Elcho [9r] (1/30)
The record is made up of 15 folios. It was created in 22 May 1879. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
Letter, marked copy, thanking Lord Elcho for bringing the Duke of Argyll's attack to his attention and regarding the private apology the Lord had received on Pelly's behalf. The letter also references the book which Pelly had seen but had deemed inappropriate to comment on given his official position in relation to it; the debate in the commons on Afghanistan matters in December 1878 and the comments made about him during this debate, which are referred to in the enclosed papers.
- Draft copy, in pencil of Pelly's letter to Lord Elcho dated 22 May 1879. ff 11-12
- Letter from Lewis Pelly, Athaeneum Club, to Lord Northbrook, dated 25 November 1878 regarding correspondence between Lord Cranbrook and Lord Northbrook dated 21, 22 and 23 November 1878 which Pelly had been shown copies of and which is to be published in several newspapers including The Times . The letter goes on to request permission to publish a telegram sent by Pelly to Lord Northbrook dated 10 January 1875 in relation to Baroda affairs which speaks to Pelly's character. ff 13-14
- Letter from Lord Northbrook, Stratton, Micheldever Station to Lewis Pelly, dated 27 November 1878 in response to Pelly's letter of 25 November regarding the telegram which Pelly can publish but is advised to request permission from Lord Salisbury, as Secretary of State for India at that time. Lord Northbrook goes on to suggest various letters of correspondence he sent to Pelly in January 1875 which speak to the telegram and the Government of India's reasons for not adopting the measures Pelly had proposed in the telegram and which he feels should be published alongside it as supporting evidence. ff 15-16
- Excerpts from Hansard Parliamentary Debates Session 1878-9 Vol CCXLII Part II, 10 December 1878 regarding Pelly's role in the Afghan negotiations at Peshawar and compliments paid by members of the House of Commons to the manner in which he approached the negotiations and the way in which he handled himself during them. ff 17-22
- Note giving page numbers and paragraph references for the excerpts from the Duke of Argyll's books which he cited in his correspondence with Lord Elcho. f 23
- Extent and format
- 15 folios
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Letter from Lewis Pelly, Belgrave Mansions, Grosvenor Gardens to Lord Elcho [9r] (1/30), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, Mss Eur F126/10, ff 9-23, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000012> [accessed 27 June 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000012">Letter from Lewis Pelly, Belgrave Mansions, Grosvenor Gardens to Lord Elcho [‎9r] (1/30)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000012"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000001524.0x000395/Mss Eur F126_10_0017.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Mss Eur F126/10, ff 9-23
- Letter from Lewis Pelly, Belgrave Mansions, Grosvenor Gardens to Lord Elcho
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence