Letter no.3737 of 1856 from Henry Anderson, Secretary to the Government of Bombay, to Commander Felix Jones, Acting Resident in the Persian Gulf [177r] (7/12)
The record is made up of 6 folios. It was created in 31 Jul 1856. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
18° & 19° VICTOHljE, Cap. 42. 347
Administration of Oaths Abroad.
guilty of Perjury, and such Offender may be charged, proceeded
against, tried, arid dealt with in any County or Place in the United
Kingdom in the same Manner in all respects as if the Offence had
been committed in such County or Place.
V. If any Person shall forge any such Seal or Signature as afore- Persons
said, or shall tender in Evidence any such Document ..as aforesaid Urging Seal
with a false or counterfeit Seal or Signature thereto, knowing the guiityTf"™
same to be false or counterfeit, he shall be guilty of Felony, and shall ^lony.
upon Conviction be liable to Penal Servitude for the Term of Four
Years, or to be imprisoned, with or without Hard Labour, for any Term
not exceeding Three Years nor less than One Year; and whenever
any such Document has been admitted in Evidence by virtue of this
Act, the Court or the Person who has admitted the same may, at the
Request of any Party against whom the same is so admitted in
Evidence, direct that the same shall be impounded and be kept in the
Custody of some Officer of the Court or other proper Person for
such Period, and subject to such Conditions, as to the said Court or
Person shall seem meet; and every Person charged with committing
any Felony under this Act may be dealt with, indicted, tried, and, if
convicted, sentenced, and his Offence may be laid and charged to have
been committed, in the County, District, or Place in which he may be
apprehended or be in Custody ; and every Accessory before or after
the Fact to any such Offence may be dealt with, indicted, tried, and,
if convicted, sentenced, and his Offence laid -and charged to have been
committed, in any County, District, or Place in which the principal
Offender may be tried.
Printed by George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswoode
rrmters to the Queen's most Excellent Majesty. 1855.
About this item
The letter and its enclosures relate to the extent of the Resident in the Persian Gulf’s consular powers, and follows Anderson’s earlier letter on the subject (folio 173). The letter is a covering letter, with a number of enclosures, as follows:
1. An extract of paragraph 28 from despatch no.25 of 1856 (folio 175) from the Court of Directors, dated 21 May 1856, affirming that consular jurisdiction for the Bushire Resident is not permitted, as indicated in the second article of the commercial treaty signed with Persia;
2. A printed copy (folios 176-77) of Act of Parliament no.42 (CAP XLII), An Act to enable British Diplomatic and Consular Agents Abroad to administer Oaths and do Notarial Acts, dated 2 July 1855;
3. A printed copy (folios 178-79) of enclosure no.1B in the Consular General Instructions, dated 1 May 1855, which includes details of consular roles and the fees chargeable for each.
- Extent and format
- 6 folios
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Letter no.3737 of 1856 from Henry Anderson, Secretary to the Government of Bombay, to Commander Felix Jones, Acting Resident in the Persian Gulf [177r] (7/12), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/149, ff 174-179, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023318563.0x0000a5> [accessed 22 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023318563.0x0000a5">Letter no.3737 of 1856 from Henry Anderson, Secretary to the Government of Bombay, to Commander Felix Jones, Acting Resident in the Persian Gulf [‎177r] (7/12)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023318563.0x0000a5"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x00007a/IOR_R_15_1_149_0364.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- IOR/R/15/1/149, ff 174-179
- Letter no.3737 of 1856 from Henry Anderson, Secretary to the Government of Bombay, to Commander Felix Jones, Acting Resident in the Persian Gulf
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence