al-Mughnī fī tadbīr al-amrāḍ wa-maʿrifat al-ʿilal wa-al-aʿrāḍ المغني في تدبير الأمراض ومعرفة العلل والعراض Saʿīd ibn Hibat Allāh ibn al-Ḥusayn سعيد بن هبة الله بن الحسين
220 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of Codex A collection of pages, usually gathered into quires, and bound between covers. ; ff. i+104+i. It was created in 12th century. It was written in Arabic, Farsi and Persian. The original is part of the British Library: Oriental Manuscripts.
About this record
Concise handbook of medicine by Abū al-Ḥasan Saʿīd ibn Hibat Allāh ibn al-Ḥusayn (أبو الحسن سعيد بن هبة الله بن الحسين; d. 1101), personal physician to the Abbasid caliph al-Muqtadī (المقتدي, reg. 1056-1094) to whom this work is dedicated (f. 4v, line 7). The title of the text is often abbreviated to Kitāb al-mughnī fī al-ṭibb (كتاب المغني في الطبّ).
The text is arranged by illness, and each one is assigned to a table. Each table takes up a page, and all pages of the text except for 4v, 5r and 104r contain tables. the tables are divided into four cells containing information about (1) the illness (مرض); (2) its cause (سبب); (3) its symptoms (عرض); and (4) the regimen (تدبير) recommended for its cure, often including a prescription (صفة).
Folios 1r-3v contain medical notes in Persian and Arabic.
The completion date in the colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. of this manuscript is barely legible (f. 104r, lines 9-10), but appears to read Jumādá I 307/September-October 919. This can hardly be the true transcription date since the author was not born until 436 AH/AD 1101. The reading of the date in this colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. has been the subject of controversy, and two Persian notes below the colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. discuss the date. The first reads the date in the colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. as 309 AH/AD 921-22 and notes that this does not conincide with the regnal dates of caliph al-Muqtadī; the second correctly dates the end of al-Muqtadī's reign to 487 AH/AD 1094. The two printed catalogues in which this manuscript appears read the date in the colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. as 534 AH/AD 1139, just 38 years after the death of the author.
Begins (f. 4v, lines 2-3):
[...] الخبير أبو الحسن سعيد بن هبة الله بن الحسن الفيلسوف إنّ أولى ما نطق به اللسان وثبت برهانه في الجنان (؟)
[...] الأزمان التي أوجد المخلوقات بقدرته وفضل الإنسان على جميعها بحكمته وجعله عالمًا متوسطًا ...
End and colophon Section at the end of a manuscript text. (f. 104) are mutilated and mostly illegible.
- Extent and format
- Codex A collection of pages, usually gathered into quires, and bound between covers. ; ff. i+104+i
- Physical characteristics
Dimensions: 225 x 170 mm leaf [200 x 145 mm written]
Foliation: British Museum foliation in pencil; eastyern Arabic foliation in black ink
Ruling: No ruling visible; average of 20 lines per page; vertical spacing 10 lines per 10 cm
Ink: Black ink, with rubricated headings and overlinings in red
Binding: British Museum binding
Condition: Badly water damaged; many leaves mutilated and repaired especially towards front and back of volume
Marginalia: Infrequent, by more than one hand
Seals: Ff. 4r, 104v
- Written in
- Arabic, Farsi and Persian in Arabic script
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: Oriental Manuscripts
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Or 3645
- 12th century (CE, Gregorian)
- Partial seal, illegible (f. 4r);
- Anonymous inscription, dated 759 AH/1357-58 (f. 4r);
- ‘Alī-Riḍā ... (عليرضا ...): his inscription, dated 1247 AH/AD 1831-32 at Qom (f. 104v);
- Seal, erased (f. 104v).
- Immediate source of acquisition
Purchased from Sidney Churchill, 28 December 1888
- Finding aids
- Hamarneh, Sami, Catalogue of Arabic Manuscripts on Medicine and Pharmacy at the British Library (Cairo: Les Editions Universitaires d’Egypte, 1975), Item 135, pp. 119
- Rieu, Charles, Supplement to the Catalogue of the Arabic Manuscripts (London: The British Museum, 1894), Item 794, pp. 540
- Select Bibliography
- Ullmann, Manfred, Die Medizin im Islam (Leiden: Brill, 1970), pp. 160-61
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
- People & organisations
Use and share this record
- Share this record
- Cite this record in your research
al-Mughnī fī tadbīr al-amrāḍ wa-maʿrifat al-ʿilal wa-al-aʿrāḍ المغني في تدبير الأمراض ومعرفة العلل والعراض Saʿīd ibn Hibat Allāh ibn al-Ḥusayn سعيد بن هبة الله بن الحسين, British Library: Oriental Manuscripts, Or 3645, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023431928.0x000001> [accessed 7 December 2023]
- Link to this record
- IIIF details
Copyright: How to use this content
- Or 3645
- al-Mughnī fī tadbīr al-amrāḍ wa-maʿrifat al-ʿilal wa-al-aʿrāḍ المغني في تدبير الأمراض ومعرفة العلل والعراض Saʿīd ibn Hibat Allāh ibn al-Ḥusayn سعيد بن هبة الله بن الحسين
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:i-v, 1r:104v, ii-r:ii-v, back-i
- Please see item description
- Usage terms
- Public Domain