'File 10/3 I Qatar Oil Concession' [76r] (166/468)
The record is made up of 1 volume (222 folios). It was created in 27 Aug 1932-7 Nov 1933. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Copy of letter dated i4th may i953, froa the ueneral
Manager Anglo Persian uil uo. i.ta., to the non»Lle the
Political resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , A.uwait»
<.1 A T A R »
we have the honour to inform you that our ^ondon
i-i iacipals have how instructed us to send a xvepresentative to
^atar in order to commence negotiations with the ituler of
iLuiULLX tn«t ierritory lor an uil concession on the lines of that
already drafted for the same purpose in respect of Kuwait.
ihis decision has been made as the result of the
geological reconnaissance recently completed, and is in
accordance with the exploration Agreement concluded with the
Kuler of qatar.
we trust, there!ore, that you will approve of the
despatcn of our representative to ^atar who is to be mr. a . C .
aampson, and who is expected to be reaay to proceed to ^atar fror
Abadan during the first weeit in ^une. Mr. uampson will be
accompanied by mr, Williamson who is already well icnown to you
and to the nuler of i^atar.
we shall be much obliged if you will authorize us,
as soon as possible, to commnnicate with the ituler of qatar in
this connection, and if you will also inform h.U's Kepreaentative
iii car.rain as well as the nuler of ^atar of our intentions.
About this item
The volume contains correspondence between the Anglo Persian Oil Company (APOC) and the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Bahrain regarding the oil concessions in Qatar. It contains copies of the exclusive exploration agreement granted by Abdullah Ibn Qasim al Thani, Sheikh of Qatar, on 27 August 1932, permitting to A.P.O.C to make a geological exploration for two years and the sole right to submit an application for a concession, in consideration of a monthly payment of 1500 rupees per month.
The volume includes:
- confidential letters sent by C.C. Mylles, representative of the A.P.O.C. delegation in Qatar, led by Haji Williamson;
- correspondence regarding the Qatar geological survey, carried out by two geologists: Dr E. W. Shaw and Mr P. T. Cox, who sailed from Adaban in the S.S. Khuzistan, on 30 January 1933;
- correspondence on the negotiations for oil concession in Qatar, led by Haji Williamson and Mr A. C. Sampson;
- planning of a visit to the Sheikh by the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Bahrain, on 6 June 1933;
- draft of the Qatar oil agreement between the Sheikh of Qatar and A.P.O.C., which wasn't signed for disagreements on financial matters (ff. 102-107 and 132-134);
- correspondence on the boundaries of Qatar (ff. 150-152 and 167- 169);
- comments on the Agreement from the Foreign Office and from the Secretary of State for India, proposing the introduction of a British Nationality Clause (f. 191) to protect from U.S. interests in the area.
There is an index at the end of the volume (folios 212-218).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (222 folios)
The items in the volume are arranged in chronological order from earliest to latest with earlier documents attached. There is an index at the end of the volume, on folios 212-218. The index is arranged chronologically and refers to documents within the volume; it gives brief description of the correspondence with a reference number in blue crayon, which refers back to that correspondence in the volume.
- Physical characteristics
The main foliation is in pencil on the top right corner, starting on the first and ending on the last page of writing. The numbering starts with 1, then 156, 156A, 157, 168, 168A, 169, 199, 199A, 199B, 200, and then carries on until 218, which is the last number given. There is a second foliation in blue pencil in the top centre, starting on folio 166 (numbered 164) to folio 210 and then starts on the index with folio 212 (numbered 2) until folio 215 (numbered 5).
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 10/3 I Qatar Oil Concession' [76r] (166/468), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/410, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023493206.0x0000a7> [accessed 21 March 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023493206.0x0000a7">'File 10/3 I Qatar Oil Concession' [‎76r] (166/468)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023493206.0x0000a7"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000229/IOR_R_15_2_410_0176.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 10/3 I Qatar Oil Concession'
- 22r:22v, 47r:47v, 76r:76v, 79r:79v, 94r:94v, 96r:97v, 101r:101v, 174r:174v, 198r:198v, 210r:210v
- Elkington, Edward Henry Ommaney
- ©BP is believed to be the rightsholder
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Non-Commercial Licence