'File 53/32 V (D 128) Kuwait Miscellaneous' [208r] (431/474)
The record is made up of 1 volume (235 folios). It was created in 29 May 1934-5 May 1937. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
- 2 -
I sail, f, No Tt , and that I quite unaerstood the case;
I /ould send to his Town Lieutenant for the witnesses
and investigate, ivll seemed well.
■ Later in day, however, a letter came fran
the bht ilch laying out the evidence in an apparently
ingenuous way; the final statement being that the Kuwait
77atch had visited the nan's house and found a herd of
ei^it fat cats there. The letter concluded with a
request for the man's deportation.
2. His Excellency or his officers had thus in
effect tried, and convicted the man and I was to be
merely his executive official for the deportation.
This would not do. I sent for the bhaikh's Town
Lieutenant and said that I should tiy the man the follow
ing day at 5 o'clock p.m. and requested the witnesses
at that hour, handing him a letter to the Shaikh to
t>ie ech.ie etfect. a/ing sometime previously observed an
unusual number of cats in the Lieutenant's own house
I sharply asked him how many he himself kept. Quailing
■ 1 ' ■ i^ ^o-it -o ur ueen, , i t h those in the haram'* —• as
if the latter were inedible. He left apparently
"'as good as gold". ^11 seemed to be well.
4. At this point her ever His Excellency went
off hawking for several days, ^t the time I thought it
About this item
This file contains correspondence related to a number of different topics (all of which concern Kuwait).
The majority of the correspondence in the file discusses anti-Kuwaiti newspaper articles printed in the Iraqi press. A number of examples of these articles are contained in the file including some original cuttings (ff. 112a-112d).
The following topics of particular interest are also discussed in the file:
- The possibility of the Ottoman Bank or the Imperial Bank of Persia establishing a branch in Kuwait (f. 22, 26, 55, 60, 61, 97-99).
- The right of British subjects to trade in Kuwait (ff. 156-159, f. 164, f.168, f.171, f.181, f.187).
- A complaint made by the Government of Iraq concerning an incursion into Iraqi territory by Shaikh Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ and an armed escort (ff. 201-206).
- The education of Kuwaiti students in Iraq (ff. 122-23, f. 127).
- A proposed hunting trip by Shaikh Aḥmad to Amara in Iraq (ff. 188-189, ff. 192-193, ff. 197-200).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (235 folios)
File is arranged in chronological order, from earliest at beginning of the file to most recent at end.
An index of the topics discussed in the file is included on folio 1B.
Serial numbers refer to entries in the notes at the rear of the file: red for incoming, blue for outgoing correspondence.
- Physical characteristics
Condition: A bound correspondence volume.
Foliation: The file's foliation sequence commences at the first folio and terminates at the back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, and can be found in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
The file contains the following foliation errors: 1, 1A, 1B and 1C; 112, 112A, 112B, 112C and 112D; 121 and 121A and the following omissions: 65; 179-181
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 53/32 V (D 128) Kuwait Miscellaneous' [208r] (431/474), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/506, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023514609.0x00001a> [accessed 18 October 2018]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023514609.0x00001a">'File 53/32 V (D 128) Kuwait Miscellaneous' [‎208r] (431/474)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023514609.0x00001a"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0001df/IOR_R_15_1_506_0426.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 53/32 V (D 128) Kuwait Miscellaneous'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 1r:1v, 1ar:1cv, 2r:3v, 4v:44v, 45v, 48v:57v, 58v:64v, 66r:70v, 72v, 73v, 76v:81v, 85v, 89v:93v, 96v:104v, 105v, 108v, 111v:115v, 117v:119v, 122r:124v, 126v:131v, 132v:137v, 138v:147v, 151v:155v, 157v:158r, 158r:159r, 159r:160v, 163v:178v, 182r:194v, 195v:215r, 215r:228v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence