'Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf. Vol I. Historical. Part IA & IB. J G Lorimer. 1915'  (19/1782)
The record is made up of 2 volumes (1624 pages). It was created in 1915. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Annexure No. 3.
CHAPTER IIT. Internal history of the Dibai principal it \
Annexure No, 4.
Internal history of the Uuim-al-Qaiwain principality
Annexure No. 5.
Internal history of the 'Ajiutln principality
Annexure No. 6.
History of the Shamailiyah Tract . . • •
Annexure No. 7.
Mutual agreement entered into b} the Shaikhs of Frucial
'Oman on the 24th June 1897 in regard to fraudulent
Annexure No. 8.
Exclusive, agreement of the Shaikhs of .Trucial 'Oman
with the British Government, March 1892 . . 786
HISTORY OF QATAR 787
HISTORY OF BAHRAIN 836
Annexure No. 1.
Exclusive agreement of the Shaikh of Bahrain with the
British Government, 13th March 1892 . . . 945
HISTORY OF HASA .... .847
HISTORY OF KUWAIT 1000
Aunexure No. 1.
Agreement by the Shaikh of Kuwait regarding the non-
reception of Foreign representatives and the non-
cession of territory to Foreign Powers or subjects, 23rd
CHAPTER VIII. HISTORY OF NAJD OR CENTRAL ARABIA
Annexure No. 1.
Separate history of the Jabal Shammar principality of
Northern Najd . . , . , ,
Annexure No. 2.
Separate history of the Qasim district
HISTORY OF TURKISH 'IRAQ
Annexure No. 1.
Journey of English travellers to Baghdad, 1583
Annexure No. 2.
Correspondence relating to the establishment of the British
Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. at Baghdad,! 1798
About this item
Theses two volumes make up Volume I, Part IA and Part IB (Historical) (pages i-778 and 779-1624) of the Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , ’Omān and Central Arabia (Government of India: 1915), compiled by John Gordon Lorimer and completed for press by Captain L Birdwood.
Part 1A contains an 'Introduction' (pages i-iii) written by Birdwood in Simla, dated 10 October 1914. There is also a 'Table of Chapters, Annexures, Appendices and Genealogical Tables' (page v-viii) and 'Detailed Table of Contents' (pages ix-cxxx), both of which cover all volumes and parts of the Gazetteer .
Parts IA and IB consist of nine chapters:
- 'Chapter I. General History of the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Region' (Part IA, pages 1-396);
- 'Chapter II. History of the ’Omān Sultanate' (Part IA, pages 397-629);
- 'Chapter III. History of Trucial ’Omān' (Part IA, page 630-Part IB, page 786);
- 'Chapter IV. History of Qatar' (Part IB, pages 787-835);
- 'Chapter V. History of Bahrain' (Part IB, pages 836-946);
- 'Chapter VI. History of Hasa' (Part IB, pages 947-999);
- 'Chapter VII. History of Kuwait' (Part 1B, pages 1000-1050);
- 'Chapter VIII. History of Najd or Central Arabia' (Part 1B, pages 1051-1178);
- 'Chapter IX. History of Turkish ’Iraq' (Part 1B, pages 1179-1624).
- Extent and format
- 2 volumes (1624 pages)
Volume I, Part I has been divided into two bound volumes (1A and 1B) for ease of binding. Part 1A contains an 'Introduction', 'Table of Chapters, Annexures, Appendices and Genealogical Trees' and 'Detailed Table of Contents'. The content is arranged into nine chapters, with accompanying annexures, that relate to specific geographic regions in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. . The chapters are sub-divided into numbered periods according, for example, to the reign of a ruler or regime of a Viceroy, or are arbitrarily based on outstanding land-marks in the history of the region. Each period has been sub-divided into subject headings, each of which has been lettered. The annexures focus on a specific place or historical event. Further subject headings also appear in the right and left margins of the page. Footnotes appear occasionally at the bottom of the page to provide further details and references.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: The foliation sequence is circled in pencil, in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio. The sequence runs through parts IA and IB as follows:
- Volume I, Part IA: The sequence begins on the first folio with text, on number 1, and ends on the last folio with text, on number 456. Total number of folios: 456. Total number of folios including covers and flysheets: 460.
- Volume I, Part IB: The sequence begins on the first folio with text, on number 457, and ends on the last folio with text, on number 878. It should be noted that folio 488 is followed by folio 488A. Total number of folios: 423. Total number of folios including covers and flysheets: 427.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf. Vol I. Historical. Part IA & IB. J G Lorimer. 1915'  (19/1782), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/20/C91/1, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023575941.0x000014> [accessed 22 February 2018]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023575941.0x000014">'Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf. Vol I. Historical. Part IA & IB. J G Lorimer. 1915' [‎6] (19/1782)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023575941.0x000014"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000884.0x000148/IOR_L_PS_20_C91_1_0019.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'Gazetteer of the Persian Gulf. Vol I. Historical. Part IA & IB. J G Lorimer. 1915'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:iii-v, 1:130, 1:778, iv-r:iv-v, back-i, front-a, back-a, spine-a, edge-a, head-a, tail-a, front-a-i, v-r:v-v, 779:1098, 1131:1146, 1099:1130, 1147:1484, 1489:1496, 1485:1488, 1497:1624, vi-r:vi-v, back-a-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence