'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [6r] (26/382)
The record is made up of 1 volume (190 folios). It was created in 14 Jun 1932-31 Jan 1933. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
JU3TEHI JIP GKUHita iJYKi>ICATE LIMITED
19 f St.^withln's Lane,
lOth June # 193E.
With reference to your letter of 10^h j-ay 1932
(98026/32), I am instructed "by !ay Directors to Inform
you that on the 26th May 1932 kajor Frank Holmes, our
Eastern repre entatlve, renewed the application or this
Syndicate to the Sheiich of Kuwait for an oil concession.
Two (2) copies of the oraft concession that was submitted
to the Sheiich on the aforementioned date were on the 3ame
day furnished by Ma^or Holmes to the Political A^ent in
^ photostatic copy of the araft concession
submitted to the Sheikh on the 26th ultimo is herewith
enclosed and I am Instructed to request that you iclnuly
Inform us whether, after further consideration by you t the
conditions contained in Clause 8 thereof may be considered
satisfactory from the point of view of safeguarding the
Interests of His Majesty's Government, ana, il not, t»
ou please state wherein the saia conditions fail 'O tto cio.
In respect of the conditions in question, I am Instructed
to mention that tney are sliailar to those incorporated
by you in the Assi. nmeni; of the Bahrein Concession with the
specific object of safe uaraine; the Interests of His
Majesty 's Government.
The Under Secretary of State,
Downing S tr e e t,3 # # 1,
About this item
The volume contains correspondence relating to the draft oil concession agreements presented to the Shaikh of Kuwait (Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ) by the Eastern and General Syndicate Limited, and the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (A.P.O.C.).
The correspondence focuses particularly on the individual clauses within the two draft agreements and a comparison of them for the Shaikh in order that he can make an informed decision on which concession proposal is best for his country. The memorandum comparing the drafts is produced by the Petroleum Department of the British Government and two copies of it are contained in the volume (folios 48-64, 153-161).
Also included in the volume is correspondence between the US Embassy in London and the Foreign Office regarding what the US embassy view as unacceptable delays in the amount of time it has taken the British Government to discuss the question of the Kuwait concession and repeating their concerns that the Eastern and General Syndicate will not be compared favourably alongside the British A.P.O.C. proposal. Also outlined by the Foreign Office are their fears that the Government's delays in responding to the US in this matter could potentially affect more serious negotiations in the future between the two countries.
Other items of interest in the volume include:
- Letters from the Admiralty and the Army Council expressing their concerns over strategic and military assets in the Gulf should American interests be permitted to acquire the oil concession in Kuwait;
- Enquiries from the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. to the Secretary of State for India asking if anything can be done to assist the Shaikh of Kuwait with his grievances regarding his date gardens in Iraq and Ibn Sa'ud's blockade;
- A letter from the Secretary of State, Foreign Office (on behalf of the Secretary for Mines) to the Director of the Eastern and General Syndicate Limited outlining the history and background to an oil concession in Kuwait dating back to 1917 when A.P.O.C. first undertook preliminary examinations in Kuwait and Bahrain (folios 76-81);
- Details of proposals by A.P.O.C. to increase the financial offer of their concession
- Letter from the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait to the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. regarding anti-A.P.O.C. and anti-British propaganda which is being circulated in Kuwait (folios 106-108).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (190 folios)
The contents of the file have been arranged mostly in chronologically order.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: The principal foliation runs from the first folio to last folios and consists of numbers enclosed in a circle in the top right hand corner. A second former sequence commences on the first folio of writing and concludes on folio 173, consisting of pencil numbers (not circled) in the top right hand corner. This sequence has gaps. Foliation anomalies: 1A-1D, 21A, 162A
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [6r] (26/382), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/640, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x00001b> [accessed 14 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x00001b">'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [‎6r] (26/382)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x00001b"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x000266/IOR_R_15_1_640_0026.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate'
- 6r:7r, 42r
- Adams, H T
- Usage terms
- The copyright status is unknown. Please contact [email protected] with any information you have regarding this item.