Skip to item: of 688
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [‎1071] (108/688)

This item is part of

The record is made up of 1 volume (341 folios). It was created in 1917. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

KUB—KUF 1071
r v. 1.0 fnnncl except after rain. Kubbar Island has no anchorage which
^ T Wa u h ?a ^hamal best berth being south-south-east of the island in
Sotll in fine wither good landing will be found at the
^o^ns^l^S'in 1906. bnt they disappeared ahnost immediately.
In the interests of navigation, however, another beacon was erected in January 1914.
It is 30 feet high, and is visible from about 11 miles.
KUBTH— . , , TT ., , ,
A small fortified hamlet in western Hadhramaut and situated between Haid Maijum
and Kr L Stam on the route leading from Maqatin to Yashhum. Iln a hamlet .3
the nroperty of the ruling clan of the district.
KUDMIYAH (J abal)—•
A hill in Yemen, situated 9 or 10 miles oast by south from Laluyah and overlooking
Wadi Mur from its right bank.—(IF. 0. Map, 1915.)
KUFAH— t
A town in Turkish 'Iraq ; it stands on the right bank of the Shatt-al-Hindiyah at a
distancl of 6 miles eastwards, by road, from Najaf Town. The original Kufah, founded
about 638 A. D., was in early Islamic times among the most famous of cities, and under
the 'Omaivids shared with Basrah the honour of being one of the Iraqan, that is, one
of the twin capitals of 'Iraq ; but it subsequently declined and disapi^ared - the mo cm
town is not more than 20 years old. The name is said to mean the (city of) reed
^The ancient Persian city of Hirah probably stood 2 or 3 miles to the south of Kufah,
and the battle of Qadislyah, which in 635 A. D. gave the province of Iraq to the rising
Muhammadan power, appears to have been fought at a place m the desert about 15 miba
west of Kufah ; this Qadislyah is not to be confounded with the place ot the a
name on the Tigris above Baghdad. In 'Abbasid times the Hajj route from Baghdad
Kufah the Hindiyah stream is 150 yards broad
and flow® deepest in the neighbourhood of the right bank, where, at the present time about
6 feet of^ water may be found in midwinter. At this place the Hindiyah is spanned by
a bridge of 16 boats, each of which is 30 feet long, 10 feet wrde and 4 fee eep, ie
roadwav is 8 feet wide, and there is a handrail about 3 feet high on each side from end
told 5 This bridge is now in bad repair. There is a small island 200 yards above and
another 350 yards below the bridge ; these are both wooded, and either ^ould ox
good eover or support to a bridging party. Quarter of a mile above the bridge the
H r^«dT^te^--MfaT d eonsists of about COO 1,ous f • of ^
mortar, and 100 occupied shops ; its frontage on the river is 500 to_ 600 yards, ihe
whole town is upon the western bank, but there is one private Khan on the 0 PPOs
side about 50 yards above the bridge. The present population of Kufah is about 3,000
souls of whom one -fourth may be Persians (including a few Persiamsed Baluchis) wh le
the remainder are Shi'ah Arabs ; but this estimate does not include residents of iNajaf
Town who have houses or offices at Kufah and visit them often for pleasure or business.
itesourc&s. —Kufah, always the port of Najaf, is now a general entrepot of trade an d
the distributing centre, for a wide tract of country, of goods brought by water from
Basrah Town. On the river bank are numerous store houses and places of business,
where the exports and imports of Hillah, Najaf and other places he awaiting disposal.
Kufah is surrounded on all sides by excellent date P'^'^hrHindivah' 3 Mt
earden cultivation belonging to the place upon the left bank of the Hmdryah. iruit,
vegetables and forage can be had in abundance at Kufah in the such
Ch S^r-Sh i^Xarters of a mhiyah ^he Q^dha of N^af

About this item

Content

Volume II of III of the Gazetteer of Arabia. The Gazetteer is alphabetically-arranged and this volume contains entries K through to R.

The Gazetteer is an alphabetically-arranged compendium of the tribes, clans and geographical features (including towns, villages, lakes, mountains and wells) of Arabia that is contained within three seperate bound volumes. The entries range from short descriptions of one or two sentences to longer entries of several pages for places such as Iraq and Yemen.

A brief introduction states that the gazetteer was originally intended to deal with the whole of Arabia, "south of a line drawn from the head of the Gulf of 'Aqabah, through Ma'an, to Abu Kamal on the Euphrates, and to include Baghdad and Basrah Wilayats" and notes that before the gazetteer could be completed its publication was postponed and that therefore the three volumes that now form this file simply contain "as much of the MSS. [manuscript] as was ready at the time". It further notes that the contents have not been checked.

Extent and format
1 volume (341 folios)
Physical characteristics

Foliation: This volume's foliation system is circled in pencil, in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [‎1071] (108/688), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/MIL/17/16/2/2, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023727632.0x00006d> [accessed 21 March 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023727632.0x00006d">'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [&lrm;1071] (108/688)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023727632.0x00006d">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100023486173.0x000001/IOR_L_MIL_17_16_2_2_0108.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100023486173.0x000001/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image