Skip to item: of 688
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [‎1235] (284/688)

This item is part of

The record is made up of 1 volume (341 folios). It was created in 1917. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

MIZ—MOK
1235
MIZRA' SUiMAIR—
A hamlet near Wadi Mijlas {q. v.), in the Masqat district of the 'Oman Sultanate.
MOAHIB—
One of the tribes of Hejaz {q.v.).
MODAINAH (A l)—
See Fuwwah.
MOGHLAF—
A hamlet in Yemen, situated in the tihdmah a short distance to the north-east of
Dhahi, which is 27 miles (crowfly) north-north-east from Hodaidah on the right bank of
Wadi Sardud.— {N iehuhr, 1763 ; Maun sell 's map).
MOHlYAH—
A hamlet on the left bank of the Shatt-al-'Arab {q. v.), between Basrah and the Persian
frontier.
MOHRAM (W adi)—
A fertile valley in Hejaz, extending from north-west to south-east and situated about
half-way between Qahwat Qura' and Taif. It contains many fruit trees and a few
cultivated fields irrigated from wells and not from streams. The valley is so called
from the circumstances that pilgrims going to Mecca from the eastward garb themselves
with the Ihram here.— {Burckhardt.)
MOHSAB (W adi)—
One of the side valleys of Wadi Muna {q. v,), in Hejaz.
MOINAH—
A hamlet in Hadhramaut about 2 miles out of Mukalla on the route to Shibam.
MOIYA (S harm-al)—
An anchorage near Ras Muhammad {q. v. ), in the Sinai peninsula.
MOJ (Ras Abul)—
A cape on the west coast of Bahrain Island {q. v.).
MOKHA (Lat. 13° 20' N., Long. 43° 14' E.)—
Formerly the chief port in the Yemen for the coffee trade, but now much diminished
in importance. It is situated some 115 miles south by east from Hodaidah, and lies in
a small bay between two low points, about 1J miles apart, on each of which are the ruins
of a fort. Between these ruins extends the sea-wall, which allows access to the town
by a single gate only ; and in front of this gate is a stone pier or jetty, which, like the
town itself, is in a state of utter decay. The town extends along the shore, is about half
a mile square, and in its days of prosperity must have possessed an imposing appearance.
The houses were originally large, white, and built of stone, but are now in ruins, the only
buildings now standing, and deserving of note, being the mosques, of which there are
several with lolfty minarets. The highest, which is in the eastern quarter of the town,
is 118 feet high, and is a good landmark. The streets were always very narrow, and in
places have become impassable from the debris.
Mokha which belongs to the Mashalahah tribe, no longer holds any position as a trading
port. In 1824 it contained about 20,000 inhabitants; in 1882 the population within the
walls had dwindled to 1,500, and in 1901 the number was probably not more than 400.
A floating population composed of Arab, Somalis, and Jews, lives in huts outside the walls.
The total present population within and without probably fluctuates between 5 ,000 and
8,000. The decline of Mokha, once the principal seat of commerce in the Read Sea;
seems to have been coincident with the establishment and rise of Aden as a British port,
and to have been affected also by the rise and development of Hodaideh.
7 t 2

About this item

Content

Volume II of III of the Gazetteer of Arabia. The Gazetteer is alphabetically-arranged and this volume contains entries K through to R.

The Gazetteer is an alphabetically-arranged compendium of the tribes, clans and geographical features (including towns, villages, lakes, mountains and wells) of Arabia that is contained within three seperate bound volumes. The entries range from short descriptions of one or two sentences to longer entries of several pages for places such as Iraq and Yemen.

A brief introduction states that the gazetteer was originally intended to deal with the whole of Arabia, "south of a line drawn from the head of the Gulf of 'Aqabah, through Ma'an, to Abu Kamal on the Euphrates, and to include Baghdad and Basrah Wilayats" and notes that before the gazetteer could be completed its publication was postponed and that therefore the three volumes that now form this file simply contain "as much of the MSS. [manuscript] as was ready at the time". It further notes that the contents have not been checked.

Extent and format
1 volume (341 folios)
Physical characteristics

Foliation: This volume's foliation system is circled in pencil, in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [‎1235] (284/688), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/MIL/17/16/2/2, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023727633.0x000055> [accessed 25 May 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023727633.0x000055">'Gazetteer of Arabia Vol. II' [&lrm;1235] (284/688)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023727633.0x000055">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100023486173.0x000001/IOR_L_MIL_17_16_2_2_0284.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100023486173.0x000001/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image