'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [182r] (367/576)
The record is made up of 1 volume (286 folios). It was created in 10 May 1923-9 Jan 1924. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
c a s 57
^ r i'p >
- ( 2 ) -
Be recalled the fact that he had then instructed the
.^■ident to inform the 3heikhs of Kuwait and Bahre- n, v ao v. ere
among the rulers referred to, that in view of .he procednre
by which these concessions had been obtained the^ would not be
approved by His Majesty's Government.
6 He informed the Resident that the decision to withhold
ap or oval had been taken in view of the fact tnat y^ a1 ' .
had adopted the proper procedure in approaching tais department
n • . x. ^ v./l 4' ■ ■'r V a mtj « rmt ; • T > f>T). c !, IT. Ci to allow it
whe th er
in the first instance and tLat he was not propa}\:c»
to suffer by reason of the fact that Major nolmes, ^
deliberately or In ignorance of the prescribed procecrare, nad
vnV-oached the rulers direct, but he made it clear that the
oblection was not based on the character of the 3yndicate
which was both substantial and reputable though not possessing
the wider experience of oil production or efficient organisa
tion of your Company.
7. He went an to say that the ^lulicete had now icr^araed
copied of thoir ooEoaSaiou.. to this .ae^artiaent anct_n8d expiessed
their rsadinaea to make Bueh no-- inioationb as 1.9 f>ar.»u a.j.ect t
and he stated that if they Implwtouiecl this ^ndariinj wia
satisfied hfm of their ability to oarry out t.ie ol ) .Js«cj .on&
impo aad upon them by their oopacasalonG, ho ba 8.^
to* raise objection to their candidature proyxdea your_ company
was i;iven the priority of opportunity to ^hxoh ifca pn.oi
Bp .1-i c a t i on en t i 11 e d it.
8. He therefore instructed the He si dent to info im i-ne -'heiid:*
of -ruwait that the Secretary of State was not prepares to
arc rove the concession granted by the Sheikh to the '-Kast era and
General Syndicate until that ruler had statea m precise te^ms
l-ho Obi eotions. which he had informed Sir A.T. wuam that he had
to the draft cunosaaion submitted on behalf of your Company ana
hed aatisfiod the resident that these oh j ac A otk . wex e v-^d
and had also famiulated on his own behalr conn.or-prop j »1 s
regarding the form of the ooneesslon. Pis Grace addea tuSo
if these counter-proposals when fornulatea were 1101 accepted
bv vour Company he would withdraw his objection bo the
of a oonceaaion to the Eastorn and Ueneral oyndicate provided
its terras were not more favourable to the Company than the
terms refused by your C ompany and provided that the concession
was modified in certain par lieulais.
q in the first instance therefore His Grace instructed the
Resident to coramunicata to your local repreeentaUTe the
revised text of the draft concessian submUbea bj, tae ia^er
and, provided he agreed, to set it before the biiei^h and oall
upon that ruler to formulate his oojeotlons, if any, i-a the_
revised draft. He also authorised the Resident to iroceea m
this matter in consultation with your iooai repieseiittitxv
and to approve on behalf of His Majesty's uavermientohe grant
to your Company of a concessian in these terms providea
alteration in substance had been made hy either party,
10. He instructed the Eesi dent to proceed on similar lines
mutatis mutandis with regard to Bahrein.
with his propo;
me t o
11. Before proceeding to furnish you
regarding the new draft concession His ., , ^
explain that he has had great difficulty in dealing with this
I • i
^ ■■ ■ If
About this item
The volume contains correspondence and telegrams between the Political Department, the Colonial Office and the Secretary of State at the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. in London, the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. at Bushire, the Political Agents at Kuwait and Muscat, local rulers, Anglo Persian Oil Company (APOC) and Eastern and General Syndicate Limited representatives on the negotiations for oil concessions in Kuwait, Bahrain, Nejd [Najd, Jubail, Saudi Arabia], Qatar, Muscat, Oman and Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. .
The volume includes documents regarding:
- Bahrain: Letter in English and Arabic from the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Gulf to Shaikh Ḥamad bin ‘Īsá Āl Khalīfah, Ruler of Bahrain, informing him that the British Government didn't approve the Bahrain Oil Concession being agreed to Major Frank Holmes, representing Eastern and General Syndicate (folios 41-42) and subsequent correspondence regarding the cancellation of this concession (folios 125-126) and the agreement with APOC;
- Kuwait: Draft Agreements between Shaikh Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ, Ruler of Kuwait, and D'Arcy Exploration Company limited, on the oil exploration license in Kuwait (draft agreement 20 June 1923 on folios 51-60; draft agreement 6 September 1923 on folios 157-171 and draft agreement 18 November 1923 on folios 198-210; in Arabic on folios 229-235) and minutes of a meeting to discuss it (folios 61-64A); correspondence between the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait and the ruler of Kuwait, regarding contacts being made with Major Holmes and Eastern and General Syndicate, in Arabic with English translation (folios 83-89).
- Najd: Report on Najd Oil Concession by J.B. Mackie (folios 31-33); letter from Āl Sa‘ūd, ‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal (Ibn Sa‘ūd), Sultan of Najd, to the High Commissioner for Iraq dated 21 May 1923, in Arabic with English translation, regarding oil exploration being granted to Eastern and General Syndicate (folios 76-78).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (286 folios)
The documents in the volume are arranged in chronological order. There is an index at the beginning of the volume, on folio 3.
- Physical characteristics
The main foliation is in pencil, encircled, in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio. The numbering begins on the first folio after the front cover, on number 1, then 2-63; 64A and 64B; 65-195; 196A and 196B and it carries on to the last folio, ending on 284. There is another foliation sequence, which is incomplete.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [182r] (367/576), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/619, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x0000a8> [accessed 22 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x0000a8">'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast' [‎182r] (367/576)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023833826.0x0000a8"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x000251/IOR_R_15_1_619_0369.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 82/1 II (F 53) A.P.O.C., and Oil Concession - Arab Coast'
- 140r:142v, 148r:150v, 181r:183v, 225r:226v
- Shuckburgh, Sir John Evelyn
- ©BP is believed to be the rightsholder
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Non-Commercial Licence