'File 10/3 VIII Qatar Oil Concession' [8r] (19/456)
The record is made up of 1 volume (226 folios). It was created in 9 May 1935-23 Nov 1935. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
From JPolitical Residentk H.M.S.Fowey at Doha.
To Secretary of State for India| Loxidon*
Repeated Government of India, Simla.
Dated the 10th May 1936.
Your telegram of 9th Hay No. 1440.
His ISajesty's Government permitted Shaikh of
Kuwait to purchase some machine guns which he has mounted
on ford vanettes.
2. I strongly suggest that the Shaikh of Qatar
be permitted to purchase if he wants to couple of similar
cars with machine guns. These would he of use to the
Royal Air Force in emergency.
3. Some of Shaikh^ men could be trained in machine
gunning as were Shaikh of Kuwait's.
About this item
The volume contains correspondence between the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , the Secretary of State for India and the Sheikh of Qatar about the Qatar Oil Concession and the protection offered to Qatar from His Majesty's Government, in exchange for the Oil Concession granted to the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC).
The volume includes:
- copies of the Concession and copies of correspondence with the Sheikh, in English and Arabic, and copies of the agreement between the British Government and APOC;
- draft clauses of pre-emption of oil in case of national emergency or war (ff. 38-39 and 74-75);
- correspondence from Air Headquarters to the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Bahrain on the planning of an air reconnaissance of the neighbourhood in Doha;
- letters in English and Arabic from Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. informing the Shaikh of the reconnaissance and of the visit from the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , who gave him a Medal in commemoration of the King-Emperor's Silver Jubilee (f. 140).
There is an index at the end of the volume (folios 215-221).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (226 folios)
The papers in the volume are arranged chronologically. There is an index at the end of the volume (folios 215-221). The index is arranged chronologically and refers to documents within the volume; it gives brief description of the correspondence with a reference number, which refers back to that correspondence in the volume.
- Physical characteristics
The volume has a foliation number on the front top right of each folio. The numbering is in pencil, encircled, it starts on the first page of writing with 1, and ends on the back cover with 226. There is a second foliation, starting on f. 167 (numbered 167) and ending on f. 214 (numbered 193); the numbering from 193-212 reads right to left, as the document is in Arabic.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 10/3 VIII Qatar Oil Concession' [8r] (19/456), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/417, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023947940.0x000014> [accessed 18 October 2018]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023947940.0x000014">'File 10/3 VIII Qatar Oil Concession' [‎8r] (19/456)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023947940.0x000014"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000230/IOR_R_15_2_417_0019.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 10/3 VIII Qatar Oil Concession'
- front, front-i, i-r:i-v, 1r:32v, 40r:41v, 43r:51v, 66r:73v, 76r:146v, 148r:148v, 150r:161v, 162v:163v, 165r:170r, 171r:178v, 179v, 181r:181v, 183r:194v, 215r:225v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence