Letter from George Andrew Atkinson, Acting Political Agent, Muscat, to Lewis Pelly, Political Resident in the Persian Gulf, Bushire [49v] (6/14)
The record is made up of 7 folios. It was created in 19 Sep 1867. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
Letter No. 199 of 1867 with enclosed telegrams to Government regarding the recent crisis in Muscat.
The letter discussses correcting the Government's error in attributing Atkinson's telegrams to Pelly; the threat of an attack on Muscat from Syed Torkee [Turki bin Said] and the Sultan's request to the Governor of Bombay for aid at sea.
The letter concludes with Atkinson's justifications for the manner in which he acted with regards to the unfolding events.
Copies of the telegrams sent by Aktinson to the Political Secretary to the Government of Bombay:
- Telegram of 11 August 1867, regarding two kureetas which the Sultan of Muscat had addressed to the Governor by mail discussing a coalition amongst the Southern tribes and requesting the assistance of the Governor by sending two man-of-war vessels owing to the fears of the arrival of Syed Torkee in Muscat around the 20 August with a considerable force rumoured to be of at least 1800 men. The telegram includes Atkinson's personal opinions as to the benefits of assisting the Sultan in protecting the port of Muscat from attack and requesting advice on the attitude he should take with regards to Syed Torkee.
- Emergent Telegram of 14 August 1867 regarding a report received by His Highness the Sultan that Syed Torkee had begun his march towards Muscat aided by the Beni-bin-Hussun tribe. The telegram contains Atkinson's fears over the defences of the town and the likelihood that if succesful, the followers of Syed Torkee will plunder the town and continues by requesting a Royal Navy vessel to help ensure British interests in Muscat.
- Emergent Telegram of 27 August 1867 informing Government that he is sending a peon to Bidbid where Syed Torkee is located to rely the Government's orders to him and that he will offer his good offices to Syed Salim [Salim II bin Thuwaini]. The telegram confirms understanding of the instruction not to threaten bombardement without the direct authorisation of the Government of Bombay and suggesting an advance of 25,000 rupees to aid Syed Salim.
- Emergent Telegram of 5 September 1867 reporting that Syed Torkee had captured Muttra with little opposition and that the Government's threats of non-recognition and bombardment had been reported to him and that it had effected a halt in his march for a few days during which time the Shaikhs talked with Syed Salim, but on seeing his panic over recent events they increased their demands to control over the whole kingdom, excluding Muscat, which led Syed Torkee to disregard the British Government's orders and continue his march. The telegram concludes by reporting that Lewis Pelly will shortly be arriving in Muscat and requesting instruction on whether the threat of bombardment is to be carried out if Syed Torkee is not able to take Muscat and asking what the British Government's position will be should Syed Salim cede a portion of his lands to Syed Torke. Atkinson also reports that he has been asked to act as negotiator between Syed Torkee and Syed Salim but will not agree to it until he has received the request in writing from both parties.
- Extent and format
- 7 folios
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Letter from George Andrew Atkinson, Acting Political Agent, Muscat, to Lewis Pelly, Political Resident in the Persian Gulf, Bushire [49v] (6/14), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, Mss Eur F126/45, ff 47-53, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100024265781.0x000063> [accessed 29 March 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024265781.0x000063">Letter from George Andrew Atkinson, Acting Political Agent, Muscat, to Lewis Pelly, Political Resident in the Persian Gulf, Bushire [‎49v] (6/14)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024265781.0x000063"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000001524.0x0003b8/Mss Eur F126_45_0098.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Mss Eur F126/45, ff 47-53
- Letter from George Andrew Atkinson, Acting Political Agent, Muscat, to Lewis Pelly, Political Resident in the Persian Gulf, Bushire
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence