‘File 13/5 Assistance to Imperial Airways & Accidents to their Craft’ [7v] (14/372)
The record is made up of 1 file (183 folios). It was created in 31 Mar 1933-5 Aug 1944. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The file contains correspondence on a number of different, air-related matters, and is not restricted to air accidents suffered by Imperial Airways aircraft. The principal correspondents in the file are the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Bahrain, and the Political Officer on the Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. .
The subjects covered by the file are:
- The emergency landing in March 1933 of an Imperial Airways ‘HANNO’ [Handley Page] aircraft at Jubail, in Ibn Saud’s [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd] territory, the subsequent inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the emergency landing, and discussion amongst British officials over whether a gift should be given to the Amir of Jubail, whose subjects lent assistance to the aircraft’s pilot (ff 4-46);
- Reports of a missing plane in the Gulf in March 1940 (ff 47-52);
- In July 1940, the theft of copper panels from the wireless station at the aerodrome in Sharjah, leading to the aerodrome’s inability to provide radio bearings to incoming aircraft. Further correspondence documents the investigation into the theft, and the apprehension of the culprits (ff 53-63);
- Through the remainder of the file, correspondence from 1941 to 1943 relating to the development of air facilities in a number of locations, as part of the Aden to Karachi air route. This correspondence includes: extensive arrangements for the temporary charter by the British Overseas Airways Corporation of the Sheikh of Dubai’s launch, to be used at Ras al Hadd; work at Masirah (island) and the sourcing of a launch to enable operations to proceed between the mainland and the island; unrest amongst the workers at Salalah.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (183 folios)
The file’s contents are arranged in approximate chronological order, from the earliest item at the front to the latest at the end. The file notes at the end of the file (ff 173-184) mirror the chronological arrangement.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover, and terminates at the inside back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 2-171; these numbers are also written in pencil, and can be found in the same position as the main sequence, but they are not circled.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘File 13/5 Assistance to Imperial Airways & Accidents to their Craft’ [7v] (14/372), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/514, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100024507599.0x00000f> [accessed 15 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024507599.0x00000f">‘File 13/5 Assistance to Imperial Airways & Accidents to their Craft’ [‎7v] (14/372)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024507599.0x00000f"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000331/IOR_R_15_2_514_0014.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘File 13/5 Assistance to Imperial Airways & Accidents to their Craft’
- front, front-i, 2r:2v, 4r:4v, 6r:7v, 10r:28v, 29ar:29av, 31r:32v, 35r:35v, 37r:37v, 39r:45v, 47r:52v, 54r:58v, 60r:60v, 62r:62v, 64r:110v, 112v:133v, 135r:184v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence