'11/18 EXCHANGE OF MAILS BETWEEN HASA & BAHRAIN' [12r] (23/142)
The record is made up of 1 file (69 folios). It was created in 16 Feb 1932-30 Oct 1940. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Dated:- ' 12-11-1932.
F^om:- Superinten ent of
To:- Political Bahrain.
. T ^
leference Crovemment of irfia,Foreign and Political
Departments letter D-840.N/32 May 27th. Kindly wire
date from v/hich exchange of mails between Bahrain and
Rofuf may be introduced. Presumably 1st January suitable.
prom: - Poli t ical Bahrai n.
To:- Resident,Oare Political,Muscat.
Superintendent Posts,Karachi,asks date from which
exchange mails with Hasa should come into force and
suggests 1st January, iresume Government of India will
decide this in conjunction with Jeddah but please see
my S/174 dated Sth November which suggests postponement
as Hofi^f visit concessions have hitherto been one-sided.
About this item
This file concerns the exchange of postal services between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia and covers:
- 1932-1933 (ff 2-30): the conveyance of post between Hasa [al-Aḥsā’] and Bahrain, as well as between Hasa and other foreign countries via Bahrain;
- 1934 (ff 31-43): Saudi Posts, Telegraph and Telephone Department establishing a daily mail service between Bahrain and Hofuf [al-Hufūf] and Katif [al-Qaṭīf];
- 1933-1934 (ff 44-51): use of Arabic language in the wording of the 'Bulletin de verification' (ff 44-51);
- 1935 (ff 52-61): the exchange of mails between Bahrain and Hofuf and Katif and the discontinuance of the use of the term 'Agent of Hofuf at Bahrain' (ff 58-61);
- 1940 (ff 62-69): the conveyance by air or surface of letters for the outside world by air or sea mail, which it is stated must be posted at Al Khobar [al-Khubar] with Saudi Arabian stamps (ff 62-69).
The correspondents in the file include: the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. at Bushire; the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. at Bahrain; the Superintendent of Post Offices, Lower Sind and Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. in Karachi; and the Postmaster at Bahrain.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (69 folios)
The papers are arranged in chronological order from the front to the rear of the file. File notes appear at the rear of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover and terminates at the back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is also present in parallel between ff 2-33; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'11/18 EXCHANGE OF MAILS BETWEEN HASA & BAHRAIN' [12r] (23/142), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/478, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100024952095.0x000018> [accessed 19 September 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024952095.0x000018">'11/18 EXCHANGE OF MAILS BETWEEN HASA & BAHRAIN' [‎12r] (23/142)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100024952095.0x000018"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x0002ad/IOR_R_15_2_478_0023.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- '11/18 EXCHANGE OF MAILS BETWEEN HASA & BAHRAIN'
- front, front-i, 2r:36v, 43r:70v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence