'File 38/16 Effects of Bahrain-Qatar dispute on P. C. L.' [8r] (15/92)
The record is made up of 1 file (44 folios). It was created in 11 Jan 1944-22 Nov 1948. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
F • C • L • f
W 1 -*
Dear Major Hickinbotham,
B9th June, 1944.
BAHRAIN/3ATAR A^RBStABN 1 ^
If it is in order I shcxild like a copy
of the text of the new agreement ^ etw ® e ^
Bahrain and Qatar, by which normal relations
between the two shaikhdoms were restored.
I propose to send a copy to our .London
principals who will be interested.
Major T. Hickinbotham, C.I.E., O.B.E.,
H.B.M*s Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. ,
About this item
The file contains correspondence relating to how the dispute between Bahrain and Qatar over Zubarah 18th-century town located 105 km from Doha. has affected the work of Petroleum Concessions Limited. The principle correspondents are: the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. at Bahrain; Sir Charles Belgrave, Advisor to the Government of Bahrain; Shaikh Sulman bin Hamad Al Khalifa [Salmān bin Ḥamad Āl Khalīfah], ruler of Bahrain; Shaikh Abdulla bin Qasim Al-Thani [‘Abdullāh bin Qāsim Āl Thānī], ruler of Qatar; and representatives (usually Ernest Vincent Packer) of Petroleum Concessions Limited (hereafter, the company) and its subsidiary, Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited.
The matters covered by the file are mostly founded on the rival historic claims to the old settlement of Zubarah 18th-century town located 105 km from Doha. . They are as follows:
- the need to settle normal relations between the two countries, partly driven by the clarity needed to define oil concessions;
- the company's attempts to buy land in Manama which lead to conditions imposed by the ruler of Bahrain concerning mosques, tombs and properties in Zubarah 18th-century town located 105 km from Doha. that are claimed by the Āl Khalīfah family;
- disagreements over the company's use of the port of Sitra in Bahrain, and what they are permitted to import and export;
- a meeting held between Packer and Shaikh Salmān on 15 February 1947 to settle these issues;
- incidences of violence and conflict between Bahraini seamen employed by the company and Qatari guards at Zekrit during 1947 and 1948;
- the refusal by Qatari authorities to allow Shaikh Shafi bin Salim, head of the Bani Hajir tribe, and his four sons to land at Zekrit in July 1948.
Folios 43-45 are internal office notes.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (44 folios)
The file is arranged chronologically.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover and terminates at the back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is also present in parallel between ff 2-33; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 38/16 Effects of Bahrain-Qatar dispute on P. C. L.' [8r] (15/92), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/871, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100025657295.0x000010> [accessed 15 July 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100025657295.0x000010">'File 38/16 Effects of Bahrain-Qatar dispute on P. C. L.' [‎8r] (15/92)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100025657295.0x000010"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x00013a/IOR_R_15_2_871_0015.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 38/16 Effects of Bahrain-Qatar dispute on P. C. L.'
- 6r:6v, 8r:11v, 13r:13v, 17r:17v, 20r:20v, 25r:26v
- Packer, Ernest Vincent
- Usage terms
- The copyright status is unknown. Please contact [email protected] with any information you have regarding this item.