'File 38/3 II P. C. L. Qatar Concession' [29v] (58/336)
The record is made up of 1 file (166 folios). It was created in 21 May 1947-7 Oct 1949. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The volume contains correspondence relating to the work of Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited, a subsidiary of Petroleum Concessions Limited, in Qatar. The correspondence is principally between the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Bahrain, the Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. in Bahrain [ Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. ], representatives of Petroleum Concessions Limited (at their offices in Bahrain and the United Kingdom) and Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited, the Foreign Office, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , the Government of India, the Senior Naval Officer in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , the Staff Liaison Officer (RAF) in Bahrain, and the ruler of Qatar, Abdulla bin Qasim al Thani [‘Abdullāh bin Qāsim Āl Thānī].
The papers contained in the file cover the following matters:
- use of certain radio frequencies by Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited;
- jurisdiction of the Shaikh of Qatar over non-Qatari and non-British subjects in his country;
- employment of foreign nationals, including Iranian drivers and mechanics, Palestinian welders and other technicians, and Hungarians and Romanians;
- employment of the Lebanese firm Contracting and Trading Company to recruit skilled labour;
- use of the telegraphic address PETROQAT QATAR by Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited;
- the provision of meat for workers in the field;
- the extent of the Qatar concession, specifically if it covers its waters and islands;
- interference in the erection of navigational buoys by Su'aad bin Abdur Rehman Al-Thani, Shaikh of Wakrah;
- advance payment of concession royalties to Shaikh ‘Abdullāh of Qatar;
- the Shaikh of Bahrain's claims on Zubarah 18th-century town located 105 km from Doha. .
Folios 155-66 are internal office notes.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (166 folios)
The file is arranged chronologically.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover and terminates at the back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is also present in parallel between ff 2-152; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 38/3 II P. C. L. Qatar Concession' [29v] (58/336), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/865, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100025667476.0x00003b> [accessed 14 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100025667476.0x00003b">'File 38/3 II P. C. L. Qatar Concession' [‎29v] (58/336)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100025667476.0x00003b"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000134/IOR_R_15_2_865_0058.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 38/3 II P. C. L. Qatar Concession'
- front, front-i, 3r:3v, 5r:6v, 8r:9v, 11r:15v, 17r:17v, 19r:21v, 24r:24v, 26r:29v, 31r:33v, 35r:38v, 40r:40v, 43r:44v, 51r:61v, 63r:65v, 67r:74v, 77r:77v, 80r:80v, 82r:84v, 86r:92v, 94r:94v, 96r:97v, 99r:99v, 103r:104v, 109r:112v, 115r:115v, 124r:135v, 137r:137v, 139r:145v, 147r:149v, 151r:167v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence