‘File 28/64 Exemptions from customs dues on oil companies’ stores’ [15v] (30/74)
The record is made up of 1 file (34 folios). It was created in 20 Jul 1942-19 Jul 1943. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The file comprises copies of correspondence relating to customs and transit duties payable on equipment and stores owned by Petroleum Development (Qatar) Limited (PDQ) that are passing from Qatar through Bahrain, as a consequence of the shutdown of the Company’s operations in Qatar in 1942. The file’s principal correspondents are: the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Bahrain (Edward Birkbeck Wakefield); the Manager of PDQ (Ernest Vincent Packer); and the Adviser to the Government of Bahrain (Charles Dalrymple Belgrave).
The file includes:
- correspondence between the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , PDQ Manager, and Adviser to Government, including: Bahrain Government agreement that exemption of duty and transit fees should be made for equipment sold to British military forces; PDQ objection to having to pay a two per cent transit duty on stores returning to Bahrain; a list of materials being shipped by PDQ from Qatar via Bahrain (f 29); the Bahrain Government’s eventual waiving of all transit duties on PDQ stores;
- correspondence relating to a similar enquiry concerning customs and transit duties made by the California-Arabian Standard Oil Company (CASOC), and the Bahrain Government’s concession that duty be waived on equipment being brought through Bahrain for purchase on behalf of the United States Armed Forces.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (34 folios)
The volume/file’s contents are arranged in approximate chronological order, from the earliest item at the front to the latest at the end. The file notes at the end of the volume/file (ff 34-35) mirror the chronological arrangement.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 37; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 2-33; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘File 28/64 Exemptions from customs dues on oil companies’ stores’ [15v] (30/74), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/755, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100026346780.0x00001f> [accessed 14 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026346780.0x00001f">‘File 28/64 Exemptions from customs dues on oil companies’ stores’ [‎15v] (30/74)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026346780.0x00001f"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x0000a4/IOR_R_15_2_755_0030.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘File 28/64 Exemptions from customs dues on oil companies’ stores’
- 6r:10v, 12r:12v, 15r:17v, 23r:23v, 31r:31v
- Belgrave, Sir Charles Dalrymple
- Usage terms
- The copyright status is unknown. Please contact [email protected] with any information you have regarding this item.