‘Foreign Office budget for the year 1949-50 and six monthly expenditure etc.’ [15r] (29/104)
The record is made up of 1 file (50 folios). It was created in 18 Jul 1946-30 Nov 1948. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
ai '' ^
From Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. Bahrain to Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. ,
Sir Rupert Hay.
No. 8 Saving
November 10th 1948.
\"X \ C A L /\
[i I l NOV .948
Estimates for financial year 1949/50.
Please inform us urgently of estimated annual
expenditure for Bahrain Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. and Sharjah (separately)
under following heads s
(A) Salaries and wages of all staff other than
(3) Other Office expenditure not covered under
(A). -All expenditure in connexion with medical arrangements
now under discussion should be excluded.
• .yr r- w
f/wr r :
About this item
The file comprises papers relating to the accounts (actual expenditure and estimated budget) of the Political Agencies at Bahrain and Sharjah:
- a copy of a circular written by Ernest Bevin, then Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, dated 18 July 1946, requesting returns from overseas agencies of their expenditure for the period April to September 1946, and enclosing specimen forms (ff 3-7, with duplicates at ff 10-14);
- a copy of a second circular from Bevin, dated 30 April 1948, acknowledging the difficulties and delays in receiving accounts of expenditure for 1946, and stressing the need for accurate and prompt accounts for the period 1948-1949, with a revised form for returns enclosed (ff 8-9);
- compiled budget estimates for the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. at Bahrain, and for the Sharjah and Dubai Agencies, for the financial year 1949-50 (ff 16-26);
- further specimen forms for annual returns of expenditure, listed under various subheadings (public information services, consular establishments, diplomatic establishments, commercial diplomatic establishments) (ff 31-37);
- the annual return of expenditure and receipts for the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Bahrain for the period 1 April to 30 September 1948, with financial estimates for the subsequent eighteen months (ff 39-50).
Financial figures are given in a mixture of British sterling and Indian rupees, with conversion rates indicated (for example, 1 pound sterling being equivalent to 13.26 rupees, f 39).
- Extent and format
- 1 file (50 folios)
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at the front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 52; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
Condition: Water damage to the file notes (f 51) has obliterated a large portion of the handwritten notes on this folio.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘Foreign Office budget for the year 1949-50 and six monthly expenditure etc.’ [15r] (29/104), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/1821, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100026678725.0x00001e> [accessed 14 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026678725.0x00001e">‘Foreign Office budget for the year 1949-50 and six monthly expenditure etc.’ [‎15r] (29/104)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026678725.0x00001e"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000282.0x00022c/IOR_R_15_2_1821_0029.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘Foreign Office budget for the year 1949-50 and six monthly expenditure etc.’
- front, front-i, 2r:51v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence