'File 3/2 Interference with Kuwait Sailing Craft on High Seas by Persian warships.' [54r] (107/550)
The record is made up of 1 file (273 folios). It was created in 10 Apr 1933-23 Dec 1949. It was written in English, Arabic and Farsi. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
ot Bvtjifalr* de^.teh.go, 87.g of Just lgth, !»»£.
3« The first enclosure (Kuwait deep ate ft No. 116 of June 4th)
says "ten miles to the north-west toy west of the old
Portugese fort [a little north of KeshireJ and well out
3. The seeond enclosure (Sheikh of Kuwait's letter No.
K/2/986 of June 1st) says "ten miles from old Bushlre and
in a north-westerly direction from Ras-el-Hilalleh".
miles to the north-west of Old Buahire and in a north
westerly direction from Kas-el-Hilaileh u . 1
1. would put the dhow on dry land, or at any rate in a
marsh, near Ras-ash-shatt, tout in view of the eneloeures,
is naturally not meant as an exaet or full description.
2. would put the dhow about 10 miles dus wsst of Bushlre
and about 8 miles from the Persian coast near Ras-ash-Shatt.
3. would put the dhow about a mile off the coast near
4. (if "morth-west" from Old Bushlre is s slip for "south
west" and Old Buehire is ths present town of Bushlre) would
put the dhow shout 7 miles dus wsst of Reshirs and about
6 miles from the nearest land.
These calculations hare been done very roughly on a
it 1,000,000 map, but the results should be approximately the
same if the calculation wars dons in sea-miles.
2. puts the dhow well outside territorial waters of any
4. puts it outside ordinary, but just on ths edge of what
the Persians slain to be, territorial waters.
says the vessel was "ten miles to ths north
west of Bashirs".
4. The third enclosure (the Nakhoda'a statement) says
About this item
This file relates to incidents of Kuwaiti sailing boats being intercepted (and in some cases seized and detained) by Persian warships and other vessels, on suspicions of smuggling. The file largely consists of correspondence between British officials regarding several specific incidents, including one case in which a Kuwaiti dhow was reportedly seized by a Persian warship (the Babr ) off Henjam [Henjān], and towed to Bandar Abbas [Bandar-e ʻAbbās]. Much of the correspondence surrounding this case and others is concerned with establishing whether or not the incidents occurred within Persian territorial waters.
The file discusses more generally the British perspective regarding the extent of Persia's territorial waters and the Persian Navy's right to stop and search foreign vessels in the Gulf. Also included are instructions from the Admiralty regarding the attitude that should be adopted by His Majesty's ships in the Gulf in response to incidents of interference by Persian vessels.
The principal correspondents are the following:
- Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait;
- Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. ;
- British Minister, Tehran (later referred to as His Majesty's Ambassador, Tehran);
- British Chargé d'Affaires, Tehran;
- Ruler of Kuwait, Shaikh Ahmed Al-Jabir As-Sabah [Shaikh Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ];
- Persian Minister for Foreign Affairs;
- Foreign Office;
- India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. ;
- Persian [Iranian] Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Senior Naval Officer, Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. .
Some of the correspondence dating from after 1935 refers to 'Iranian' rather than 'Persian' vessels, presumably in response to the Iranian Government's request for the international community to refer to the state by its historical name.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (273 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the front to the rear of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 275; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. Two additional foliation sequences are also present in parallel between ff 3-274, and ff 6-274; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English, Arabic and Farsi in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 3/2 Interference with Kuwait Sailing Craft on High Seas by Persian warships.' [54r] (107/550), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/5/172, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100028311930.0x00006c> [accessed 20 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100028311930.0x00006c">'File 3/2 Interference with Kuwait Sailing Craft on High Seas by Persian warships.' [‎54r] (107/550)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100028311930.0x00006c"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000831.0x00009b/IOR_R_15_5_172_0107.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 3/2 Interference with Kuwait Sailing Craft on High Seas by Persian warships.'
- front, front-i, 2r:7v, 10r:21v, 23r:28v, 31r:55v, 57r:81v, 83r:83v, 85r:109v, 111r:115v, 117r:117v, 120r:174v, 176r:177v, 179r:180v, 183r:189v, 191r:191v, 193r:193v, 195r:209v, 211r:226v, 228r:229v, 232r:238v, 240r:244v, 247r:274v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence