File 747/1913 Pt 1 ‘Loans to Persia’ [7v] (19/480)
The record is made up of 1 volume (236 folios). It was created in 14 Apr 1903-5 Feb 1914. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The volume comprises copies of correspondence, minutes and other papers relating to the advance of loans to Persia. Two different loans are discussed:
- a loan of £100,000, made by the British Government in May 1913 to the Governor-General of Fars (half of which was to be payable by the Government of India), to be utilised towards the maintenance of law and order in southern Persia (specifically in the form of subsidies to be paid to the Fars gendarmerie), and proposed in response to a number of recent attacks on British forces, including the murder of Captain Eckford of the 39th Central India Horse, near Shiraz in December 1912;
- a joint Anglo-Russian loan to the Persian Government, to the value of £400,000, divided equally between Britain and Russia, with the Government of India paying £100,000 towards the British Government’s share of £200,000.
The correspondence deals with arrangements for the payment of the loans, conditions attached to them, the agreement of terms between the British and Russian Governments, the date of commencement of interest repayments.
Amongst the conditions discussed are:
- protection of and provision for British interests in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , namely Persia’s responsibility for the supply of lighting and buoying in the waters surrounding Persian islands, and protection for Bahrainis and Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. subjects in Persia;
- loan interest rates;
- security against the loans, and repayment of loans, in the form of Persian customs receipts, and opium receipts;
- mining and railway concessions in Persia, pursued by British and Russian interests.
The volume’s principal correspondents are: Sir Walter Beaupre Townley, British Minister at Tehran; Sir Arthur Hirtzel of the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. ; Sir Louis Du Pan Mallet of the Foreign Office; Sir Edward Grey, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs.
The volume’s core correspondence covers the period January 1913 to February 1914. The earlier start date given for the volume is a result of correspondence included in a secret memorandum on Persian Government loans (ff 13-38), itself dated 17 October 1910, which is an historical précis of loans given to Persia by the British Government and Government of India since 1903.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (236 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
The subject 747 (Loans to Persia) consists of 3 volumes, IOR/L/PS/10/353-355. The volumes are divided into three parts, with each part comprising one volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: The foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 238. An additional foliation sequence is also present in parallel between ff 2-238; these numbers are also written in pencil and are circled, but have been struck through.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 747/1913 Pt 1 ‘Loans to Persia’ [7v] (19/480), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/353, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100029479711.0x000014> [accessed 13 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100029479711.0x000014">File 747/1913 Pt 1 ‘Loans to Persia’ [‎7v] (19/480)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100029479711.0x000014"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x0000f8/IOR_L_PS_10_353_0019.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 747/1913 Pt 1 ‘Loans to Persia’
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:32r, 35v:49v, 50v:193v, 195r:215r, 216r, 217r:237v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence