File 4327/1911 Part 4 'Turco-Italian War: Red Sea Blockade' [48r] (91/140)
The record is made up of 1 item (70 folios). It was created in Oct 1911-Mar 1912. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Extract of telegram from Sir Rodd (Rome), Ro. 8 Treaty, dated
February 5, 1912.
xx x xx:)ax x x x* xx xxx* x x* x x x x x
By telegram sent January 31 he (the Minister of Marine) had
authorised steamer to proceed to Hcdeidah and withdraw Euro
pean commercial agents and in reply to direct request from
Resident at Aden he has now authorised another steamer to pro
ceed to Hodeidah to embark British subjects and their possess
About this item
Part four consists of correspondence relating to an Italian blockade of parts of the Red Sea coast of present-day Saudi Arabia. Several matters are covered by the correspondence:
- the classification of Turkish grain ships as contraband of war by the Italians;
- the Italian blockade of Hodeidah [Ḥudaydah] and reported intention of extending it to Jeddah and Yenbo [Yanbuʻ al-Baḥr];
- the Italian threat to bombard Hodeidah;
- the appeal for British protection from the British Indian population of the town;
- impediments to the embarkation of European goods;
- the British demand for assurances from the Italians that the blockade will not be extended and British Indian subjects will be safe.
The correspondence is mostly between the Turkish Government, Turkish Embassy in London, Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. at Aden, British Embassies at Constantinople and Rome, and the British Consulate at Jeddah.
- Extent and format
- 1 item (70 folios)
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 4327/1911 Part 4 'Turco-Italian War: Red Sea Blockade' [48r] (91/140), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/196/4, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100029845259.0x000065> [accessed 25 May 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100029845259.0x000065">File 4327/1911 Part 4 'Turco-Italian War: Red Sea Blockade' [‎48r] (91/140)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100029845259.0x000065"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x000059/IOR_L_PS_10_196_0100.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 4327/1911 Part 4 'Turco-Italian War: Red Sea Blockade'
- 3r:50v, 51v:71v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence