File 1421/1908 Pt 3 'Persia: oil; negotiations between the Shaikh of Mohammerah and the Anglo-Persian Oil Co.' [229r] (23/338)
The record is made up of 1 item (168 folios). It was created in Apr 1909-Jul 1919. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
No.1357 of 1914
0 0 P Y.
Major S. G. Xnox,
Officiating Political Kesident in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. *
The Hon'ble lieutenant Colonel Sir P.Z. Cos,
li.CoXoB.^ C.S.X. j
Foreign Secretary to the Government of India,
Foreign and Political Department,Simla.
India, Foreign GecretafuT, J
No 2 4..!, dated
11 JUN 1914
I have the honour to forward herewith correspondence
(L) Consul Muhammareh to Resident Bushire, 0 as noted in the margin between
No.639,dated 25th April 1914. 0
(2) Resident Bushire to Consul lauhammareh, 0
No.512,dated 28th April 1914. 0 His Majesty^s Consul for
(3) Consul Muhammareh to Resident, No.684, 0
(LkG> 2nd May 1914. 0
0 * Arab is tan, Muhammareh, and
myself on the subject of the provision of Indian guards for
the Anglo Persian Oil Company r s refinery at ’Abbadan.
While I agree with His Majesty’s Consul that tT it is
to our interest to see that the right type of men is
obtained” it occurs to me that Government may not be dis
posed to accept the responsibility involved in the
Manager’s proposal that ’’Government shoulfL-obtain re-
liable men for the purpose”.
I have therefore the honour to suggest that His
About this item
Part 3 consists of correspondence relating to an agreement between the Anglo-Persian Oil Company and Shaikh Khazal-Bin-Jaber [Khaz‘al bin Jābir bin Mirdāw al-Ka‘bī] of Mohammerah [Khorramshahr]. The correspondence is mostly between the Government of India (Foreign Department), Foreign Office, and India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. . Included as enclosures are letters, telegrams, and memoranda from the following:
- Edward Grey, Foreign Secretary;
- British Minister to Persia, Tehran;
- representatives of Anglo-Persian Oil Company;
- Percy Zachariah Cox, Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. ;
- Shaikh Khazal of Mohammerah;
- Messrs Lloyd, Scott, and Co., agents of Anglo-Persian Oil Company in Mohammerah;
- Persian government officials;
- Arnold Talbot Wilson, Acting Civil Commissioner in Mesopotamia.
Several matters are covered by the papers, including:
- the negotiations over a loan to Shaikh Khazal by the Anglo-Persian Oil Company for the use of land on Abadan Island for an oil refinery;
- the question of what is to be done with company buildings on the island when the concession period ends;
- the nature of Shaikh Khazal's rights to the land in question;
- the Persian Government's exceptions to some of the terms of the agreement;
- the question of guards for the refinery and who will pay for them.
- Extent and format
- 1 item (168 folios)
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 1421/1908 Pt 3 'Persia: oil; negotiations between the Shaikh of Mohammerah and the Anglo-Persian Oil Co.' [229r] (23/338), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/144/1, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100030500368.0x000043> [accessed 12 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100030500368.0x000043">File 1421/1908 Pt 3 'Persia: oil; negotiations between the Shaikh of Mohammerah and the Anglo-Persian Oil Co.' [‎229r] (23/338)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100030500368.0x000043"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x000025/IOR_L_PS_10_144_0470.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 1421/1908 Pt 3 'Persia: oil; negotiations between the Shaikh of Mohammerah and the Anglo-Persian Oil Co.'
- 218r:242v, 243v:246v, 247v:255r, 256v:257r, 258v:264r, 265r:267v, 269v:271r, 272v:273v, 275v:278r, 280r:282r, 283v:284v, 285v:293r, 294r, 295v:315r, 316r:316v, 319v:325v, 328r:328v, 329v:331v, 332v, 333v:336v, 337v:338v, 339v:340v, 341v:347v, 349r:349v, 351v, 353v:358v, 362r:382v, 384v:386v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence