'File 10/3 V Qatar Oil Concession' [60v] (135/527)
The record is made up of 1 volume (254 folios). It was created in 14 May 1934-19 Jul 1934. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The volume contains correspondence, telegrams and memoranda exchanged between the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. and the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. and with the Foreign Office, the Secretary of State for India, H.M's Minister in Jedda, the Sheikh of Qatar and the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC) on the subjects of the boundaries of Qatar and the Qatar Oil Concession.
The volume includes:
- letter from the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Mecca, to H.M's Minister in Jedda on the Qatar boundaries (f. 51);
- sketch of Qatar Peninsula (f. 113);
- telegram from the Persian Resident to the Secretary of State for India about Ibn Saud's claims to Hasa, Qatar, Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. and the Sultanate of Oman, with chronological tables in attachment (ff. 134-143);
- diary of Qatar air reconnaissance tour by Flying Officer K.R. Coates, Intelligence Recording Officer of 203 (F.B.) Squadron in Basrah, in attachment hand drawn 'Track Chart of Flying Boat K. 3678 on 29 Jun 1934' ( ff. 153-162);
- 'Memorandum respecting the Boundaries in Arabia: Anglo-Turkish Arrangements' with printed map, enclosed in Foreign Office covering letter dated 19 June 1934 (ff. 185-187);
- report and notes on the reconnaissance of Qatar (ff. 195-208);
- telegram from the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. to the Secretary of State for India dated 17 July 1934, informing that an extension for eight months of the exploration agreement was granted by the Sheikh of Qatar to APOC, in consideration of a monthly payment of 2500 rupees per month (ff. 209-210). Ink sketch representing 'Very Rough Shape of Sakah Gardens' (f. 244).
There is an index (folios 227-249).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (254 folios)
The papers in the volume are arranged chronologically. There is an index at the end of the volume, (folios 277-249). The index is arranged chronologically and refers to documents within the volume; it gives brief description of the correspondence with a reference number, which refers back to that correspondence in the volume.
- Physical characteristics
The foliation is in pencil on the top right corner, encircled. The numbering starts on the first page of writing from 1-185; then 186, 187A, 187B, 188; then 223, 224A, 224B; and it carries on until 254, which is the last number given, on the back cover. There is a second foliation, in pencil on the top right corner, starting on folio 1 (numbered 1); skipping or missing 57; then 112, 113, 113A; ending on folio 225 (numbered 227).
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 10/3 V Qatar Oil Concession' [60v] (135/527), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/414, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100031220648.0x000088> [accessed 20 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100031220648.0x000088">'File 10/3 V Qatar Oil Concession' [‎60v] (135/527)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100031220648.0x000088"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x00022d/IOR_R_15_2_414_0140.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 10/3 V Qatar Oil Concession'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:iv-v, 1r:6v, 9r:14v, 17r:31v, 35r:45v, 47r:52v, 54v:80v, 83v, 84v, 86v, 87v:102v, 105r:112v, 114r:119v, 121r:121v, 123r:163r, 163ar:163av, 163v, 165r:174v, 177r:187v, 187br:187bv, 188r:191v, 193r:198r, 199r:222v, 223v, 224ar:224bv, 225r:253v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence