File 2182/1913 Pt 12 'ARABIA: RELATIONS WITH BIN SAUD (AMIR OF NEJD) (HEJAZ-NEJD BOUNDARY DISPUTE)' [201r] (403/448)
The record is made up of 1 item (223 folios). It was created in 15 Mar 1920-21 Oct 1920. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
PUT AWAt WITH H
Dated 9th June,
Bee. 9th June,
Under Secretary. .
Secretary of State.
War Office reply to Foreign Office
Under Secretary. .
request for aims for King Hussein.
Secretary of State.
As the two rivals have consented to
meet, the matter will probably drop.
In any case no action is required by us,
unless and until Foreign Office take
the matter up. ^ )
About this item
Part 12 concerns British policy regarding the dispute between Bin Saud [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd, also referred to in the correspondence as Ibn Saud] and King Hussein of Hejaz [Ḥusayn bin ‘Alī al-Hāshimī, King of Hejaz]. Much of the correspondence relates to (unsuccessful) efforts by the British to arrange a meeting between the two rulers. The correspondence discusses conditions and arrangements for a proposed meeting at Mecca (as suggested by Bin Saud), immediately after pilgrimage [Hajj].
The correspondence goes on to discuss details of an armistice agreement made between King Hussein's committee and the Nejd deputation, at Mecca. A translation of the agreement states that the two parties agree to end all hostile movements and resume negotiations as soon as possible through the British government.
Also included are the following:
- details of a proposed gift of £5000 from the British government to Bin Saud (plus an honorary GCIE – Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire);
- proposals of a payment of £30,000 by the British government to King Hussein, on the condition that the King signs a treaty with Turkey [the Treaty of Sèvres, which began the partitioning of the Ottoman Empire];
- a copy (in Arabic) of the aforementioned Treaty;
- news of reports that King Hussein's son, Sherif Feisal [Fayṣal bin Ḥusayn bin ‘Alī al-Hāshimī, also referred to in the correspondence as Amir Feisal], has been crowned King of Syria, and copies of translations of correspondence between Feisal and Bin Saud.
The item includes the following principal correspondents:
- Secretary to the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. 's Political Department (John Evelyn Shuckburgh);
- Civil Commissioner, Baghdad [held in an officiating capacity by Lieutenant-Colonel Arnold Talbot Wilson];
- High Commissioner, Egypt (General Edmund Henry Hynman Allenby);
- Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Bahrain (Major Harold Richard Patrick Dickson);
- Foreign Office;
- War Office;
- Bin Saud.
- Extent and format
- 1 item (223 folios)
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 2182/1913 Pt 12 'ARABIA: RELATIONS WITH BIN SAUD (AMIR OF NEJD) (HEJAZ-NEJD BOUNDARY DISPUTE)' [201r] (403/448), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/391/2, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100032475964.0x00000d> [accessed 22 August 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100032475964.0x00000d">File 2182/1913 Pt 12 'ARABIA: RELATIONS WITH BIN SAUD (AMIR OF NEJD) (HEJAZ-NEJD BOUNDARY DISPUTE)' [‎201r] (403/448)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100032475964.0x00000d"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x00011e/IOR_L_PS_10_391_0412.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 2182/1913 Pt 12 'ARABIA: RELATIONS WITH BIN SAUD (AMIR OF NEJD) (HEJAZ-NEJD BOUNDARY DISPUTE)'
- 1r:6v, 14r:31v, 33r:84v, 84ar, 85r:104v, 108r:108v, 115r:115v, 118r:140v, 143r:150v, 154r:179v, 181r:182v, 184ar, 193r:194v, 200r:219v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence