Coll 6/2 'Hejaz-Nejd: Italo-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations. Attitude of Saudi Govt during Italo-Ethiopian Dispute.' [6r] (12/368)
The record is made up of 1 file (182 folios). It was created in 9 Sep 1930-9 Aug 1938. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
fr 4-1 jiS
I.Iy dear Baxter,
The arrival of the guns which the Italians sold
or gave to the Saudi Government was reported in Jedda
telegra i No.63 dated March 11th. Fuad Hamza seemed to
take particular care not to say how many there were, and
I have never heard an exact figure from any other source,
though "eight to twelve" has "been mentioned. There is an
Italian here who arrived with the guns and is possibly
an artillery instructor. Fuad said, it will he
remembered 'Jedda telegram No. 54 of liar ch 5thj , that one
consignment would be accompanied by Italians to explain
the use of the arms. This Italian is said to be very
assiduous in his attentions to the Commandant, and he
does not appear in the European community, though Trott
met him once at the Iraqi Legation.
(Signed) R. W. BULLARD.
C. W. Baxter, Esq., M. C.
About this item
This file discusses relations between the Italian Government and the Hejaz-Nejd (later the Saudi Arabian) Government. It contains copies of Foreign Office correspondence, forwarded by the Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to the Under-Secretary of State for India. Included are the following:
- Reports from His Majesty's Chargé d’Affaires at Jedda, Cecil Gervase Hope Gill, on the progress of France's and Italy's respective treaty negotiations with Ibn Sa'ud [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd].
- Reports from the British Ambassador in Rome, Ronald William Graham, on press reports announcing the completion and terms of two treaties (a Treaty of Friendship and a Treaty of Commerce) between the Government of Italy and the Government of Hejaz-Nejd.
- A copy of the treaty between the British Government and the Hejaz-Nejd Government [the Treaty of Jeddah of 1927].
- Copies of translations of the two treaties between the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of the Hejaz, Nejd and its dependencies, dated 4 April 1932.
- Reports that the Italian Government has raised the status of its representation in the Hejaz and Nejd to that of a legation.
- Copies of correspondence between Cecil Gervase Hope Gill's successor, Albert Spencer Calvert, and the Foreign Office, concerning Calvert's meetings with Ibn Sa'ud's representative, Shaikh Yusuf Yasin, during August-October 1935, over Saudi Arabia's attitude towards the Italo-Ethiopian dispute and eventual conflict (the Italo-Ethiopian War).
- Copies of correspondence between the British Minister at Jedda, Andrew Ryan, and the Foreign Office, regarding the former's meetings with Saudi Arabia's Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs, Fuad Bey Hamza, during late 1935 and early 1936, over Saudi relations with Britain and Italy.
- Reports on negotiations between Saudi Arabia and Ethiopia.
- Copies of telegrams from Andrew Ryan to the Foreign Office, recounting his meetings with Shaikh Yusuf Yasin during April-May 1936, regarding Saudi-Italian relations.
- Details of gifts from the Italian Government to the Saudi Government, including arms and aeroplanes.
The file includes a divider which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (182 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: The foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the last folio with 183; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. The leather cover wraps around the documents; the back of the cover has not been foliated. A previous foliation sequence, which is present between ff 4-182 and is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 6/2 'Hejaz-Nejd: Italo-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations. Attitude of Saudi Govt during Italo-Ethiopian Dispute.' [6r] (12/368), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2062, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100032582229.0x00000d> [accessed 23 July 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100032582229.0x00000d">Coll 6/2 'Hejaz-Nejd: Italo-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations. Attitude of Saudi Govt during Italo-Ethiopian Dispute.' [‎6r] (12/368)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100032582229.0x00000d"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000555.0x000258/IOR_L_PS_12_2062_0012.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 6/2 'Hejaz-Nejd: Italo-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations. Attitude of Saudi Govt during Italo-Ethiopian Dispute.'
- front, front-i, 2r:50v, 52r:68v, 72r:85v, 87r:140v, 142r:150v, 152r:155v, 162r:162v, 164r:164v, 167r:183v, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence