'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOL. III. PART II: L to Z' [117v] (239/988)
The record is made up of 1 volume (490 folios). It was created in 1918. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
that ensued that the then ruling Arab chief called to his aid the Persians,
who were not then the negligible military quantity that they have since
become. The Persians in return made the Arab chief governor and remained
in occupation of the town, the possession of which was a fruitful cause of
dispute between them and the Turks until 1847 when, thanks to the diplo
matic support afforded Persia by Russia and Britain, ^ Muhammerah was
finally ceded to Persia by the treaty of Erzerum, and with them it has
During the Persian war of 1887 Muhammerah was the scene of some
fighting Batteries were erected on the north and south banks of the
Haffar canal and the British war vessels and transport were subjected to a
heavy fire as they proceeded up the river, though with little or no result.
A shell from one of the warships fortunately exploded the chief Persian
magazine about midday of the 26th March, shortly after the disembarkation
of the British commenced, which so greatly demoralised them that no sooner
had the troops formed up to attack them they disappeared Retreating
—or rather flying-along the right bank of the river they took up another
position in the vicinity of Ahwaz, from which a few days later in a bloodless
encounter 10,000 Persians were driven by some 300 men of the 64th and
78th Regiments. Signs of the British bombardment are still to be seen in
the deep furrows on a few of the date palms in the neighbourhood, while
some of the shell picked up after the bombardment are to this day used as
weights in the main caravanserai. An island opposite Muhammerah where
a battery was posted, is also known as Am-ul-Rasas (Mother of Shell).
General John Jacob, who accompanied the Persian expedition, in command
of the cavalry, strongly urged that Muhammerah, which had become British
by right of conquest, should be retained together with the province of
Khuzistan, or Arabistan as it is now called, which he considered were or
tremendous strategical importance.
After a lapse of nearly 60 years it is interesting to consider what ad
vantages Britain would have derived had his advice been followed and
how supreme would have been her influence by the present time in this
neighbourhood which is rapidly becoming of great world interest.
It is very many years now since the attention of the British was fiist
attracted to the value and possibilities of the Karun trade route, but not
withstanding the repeated efforts of British merchants in conjunction with
two Bakhtiari chiefs to obtain concession for trade on the Karim—the latter
unfortunates were either imprisoned or put to death by the Persian Gov
ernment—no concessions were granted until 1888. In that year the Kanin
was declared opened as far as Bander Nasiri, situated at the rapids some two
miles below the town of Ahwaz, whither merchandise after arrival at the
former place is now conveyed by horse-drawn trams.
Messrs. Lynch Bros, accordingly inaugurated their steamboat serv ' ice -
Their steamer the Malamir —named after a well-know i plain in the heart ot
the Bhakhtiari country—does the journey to Nasiri, about 110 miles, in
36—48 hours, depending on the time of year and amount of water in the
river, with two iron barges loaded with cargo lashed to either side. Owing
to the numerous shoals that are encountered, the steamer a ichors for some
hours during the night: running aground is frequent and itsays much toi
About this item
The item is Volume III, Part II: L to Z of the four-volume Gazetteer of Persia (Provisional Edition, 1917, reprinted 1918).
The volume comprises that portion of south-western Persia, which is bounded on the west by the Turco-Persian frontier; on the north and east by a line drawn through the towns of Khaniqin [Khanikin], Isfahan, Yazd, Kirman, and Bandar Abbas; and on the south by the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. .
The gazetteer includes entries on towns, villages, districts, provinces, tribes, forts, dams, shrines, coastal features, islands, rivers, streams, lakes, mountains, passes, and camping grounds. Entries include information on history, geography, climate, population, ethnography, administration, water supply, communications, caravanserais, trade, produce, and agriculture.
Information sources are provided at the end of each gazetteer entry, in the form of an author or source’s surname, italicised and bracketed.
The volume includes an Index Map of Gazetteer and Routes in Persia (folio 491), showing the whole of Persia, with portions of adjacent countries, and indicating the extents of coverage of each volume of the Gazetteer and Routes of Persia , administrative regions and boundaries, hydrology, and major cities and towns.
The volume includes a glossary (folios 423-435); and corrections (Index to the sub-tribes referred to in the Gazetteer of Persia, Volume III, folios 436-488).
Printed by Superintendent Government Printing, India, Calcutta 1918.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (490 folios)
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 492; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. Pagination: the file also contains an original printed pagination sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOL. III. PART II: L to Z' [117v] (239/988), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/MIL/17/15/4/2, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100034842568.0x000028> [accessed 18 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100034842568.0x000028">'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOL. III. PART II: L to Z' [‎117v] (239/988)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100034842568.0x000028"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100025472827.0x000001/IOR_L_MIL_17_15_4_2_0239.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOL. III. PART II: L to Z'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:490v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence