Coll 6/1 'Hejaz-Nejd: Franco-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations Hejaz-Syria Treaty.' [50r] (99/110)
The record is made up of 1 file (53 folios). It was created in 18 Feb 1926-16 Dec 1937. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
f * " '
September 27, 1930
I have the honour to report that my Italian
colleague left Jedda yesterday on two months leave of
absence. Monsieur Lorenzo, his local Vice-Consul,
replaces him. .x
2. Monsieur Sollazzo informed me that he had hoped
only to quit Je^da on the completion of his negotiations
for a Treaty of Friendship with Ibn Sa T ud. The negotiations,
however, are at a deadlock over the question of slavery.
Th6y are to be resumed in cooler weather upon his return.
3. The French Vice-Consul has informed Mr. Wikeley
that the French negotiations also are at a standstill at
the same point. Monsieur Dumarcay added that in his opinion
no Furopean power, as a member of the League of Nations,
could conclude a treaty with the Hejaz Government unless an
anti-slavery clause similar to Article 7 of the British
Treaty were included.
I have etc.
C.G. Hope Gill.
His Majesty f s Principal Secretary
of State for Foreign Affairs.
About this item
This file primarily concerns relations between France and the Hejaz-Nejd (later Saudi Arabian) Government.
The beginning of the file relates to treaty negotiations between France and Ibn Saud's [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd's] Hejaz-Nejd Government, as well as negotiations between the Hejaz-Nejd Government and the French mandated territories in Syria. It contains copies of letters (forwarded by the Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs to the Under-Secretary of State for India) to the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs from British diplomatic officials reporting on events and on meetings with their French counterparts. The file includes the following:
- Reports of a proposed appointment of a French representative at the court of Ibn Saud.
- Reports on the progression of the treaty negotiations.
- Reports on the contents of the signed treaties (referred to in the correspondence as the Franco-Hejazi Treaty and the Syro-Hejazi Agreement respectively) and of how they compare with the Treaty of Jedda of 1927 [the most recent treaty between Ibn Saud and the United Kingdom].
- Copies of the agreements (in French).
- Reports of the raising of the French Consulate at Jedda to the status of a Legation.
The principal correspondents are His Majesty's Chargé d’Affaires, Jedda (Cecil Gervase Hope Gill, succeeded by Albert Spencer Calvert), and the British Minister at Jedda, Andrew Ryan. The French material in this file consists of the aforementioned agreements and accompanying correspondence.
The file includes a divider which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (53 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 55; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 6/1 'Hejaz-Nejd: Franco-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations Hejaz-Syria Treaty.' [50r] (99/110), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2061, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100035449745.0x000064> [accessed 24 June 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100035449745.0x000064">Coll 6/1 'Hejaz-Nejd: Franco-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations Hejaz-Syria Treaty.' [‎50r] (99/110)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100035449745.0x000064"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000555.0x000257/IOR_L_PS_12_2061_0099.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 6/1 'Hejaz-Nejd: Franco-Hejaz-Nejd Treaty and Relations Hejaz-Syria Treaty.'
- front, front-i, 2r:3v, 5r:33v, 36r:36v, 40r:43v, 45r:54v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence