'22/23 I Kuwait Conference 1923' [12v] (24/501)
The record is made up of 1 volume (250 folios). It was created in 5 Oct 1923-16 Jan 1924. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The volume comprises telegrams, despatches, correspondence, memoranda, and notes relating to the 1923 Kuwait Conference to arbitrate the Najd-Transjordan and Najd-Hijaz boundaries.
The discussion in the volume relates to the following:
- a proposal to hold Conference at Kuwait to settle the Najd-Transjordania and Najd-Hijaz boundaries. Correspondence discusses costs and practical arrangements and arrival of delegations from Iraq, Transjordania and Nejd and uncertainty over arrival of delegates from Hidjaz;
- preliminary negotiations and letter of credentials from Abdullah bin al-Hussain, Ruler of Transjordania, for Ali Khulqi Bey; letter of credentials from Faisal, Ruler of Iraq for Sabih Bey Nasrat; letter of credentials from Ibn Saud for Saiyid Hamzah; discussion of the implications of the Mohammerah Iraq-Najd Convention;
- conference negotiations - correspondence discusses points put forward by the various delegations, including blood-money, raiding and losses, raids by the Ikhwan, and the collection of zakah;
- summaries of the sessions of the conference and arbitration;
- a draft agreement (ff 227-228) on raiding;
- a list of raids (ff 247-248);
- an index to topics discussed in the conference (folio 249).
The principal correspondents in the volume include: the Secretary of State for Colonies, London; the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. , Stuart George Knox; the High Commissioner, Baghdad; the High Commissioner, Jerusalem; the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait; Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Bahrain.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (250 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the front to the rear of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence for this description commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 250; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. A fold-out is present on the verso The back of a paper sheet or leaf. of folio 235 and has been labelled with an ‘a’. Two additional foliation sequences are present in parallel between ff 3-248, and ff 122-237; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'22/23 I Kuwait Conference 1923' [12v] (24/501), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/5/69, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100037551510.0x000019> [accessed 15 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100037551510.0x000019">'22/23 I Kuwait Conference 1923' [‎12v] (24/501)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100037551510.0x000019"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000831.0x000010/IOR_R_15_5_69_0024.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- '22/23 I Kuwait Conference 1923'
- front, front-i, 2r:65v, 70r:235r, 235ar:235av, 236r:249v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence