File 3136/1914 Pt 7 ‘German War. Turkey. Situation in Egypt &c.’ [65v] (135/256)
The record is made up of 1 volume (124 folios). It was created in 9 Nov 1914-30 Mar 1918. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
Papers concerning Britain’s declaration of Egypt as a British Protectorate in November 1914. The volume includes:
- Correspondence relating to Britain’s annexation of Cyprus in November 1914, and the status of Cypriots and Egyptians in Cyprus as British subjects (ff 120-125).
- Papers concerning the status of Egyptians as British subjects (ff 116-119, ff 78-83), including Foreign Office guidance on the new Egyptian Nationality Law, dated 9 June 1915 (f 83).
- Copies of two proclamations (undated, both translations in English) addressed to the ‘People of Egypt’ (ff 102-115, ff 87-99), one of which claims to have been authored by the Senoussi [Senussi]. The proclamations are responses to Britain’s declaration of Egypt as a British protectorate.
- Translated documents taken from prisoners on patrols of the Bir Mahadat [Bi’r al Mahdāt], which are anti-British in rhetoric (ff 73-77).
- A copy of an intercepted letter (in French), dated 26 December 1915, addressed to Mohammed Farid Bey [Muḥammad Farīd], and presumed by British intelligence officials to have been written by Abdul Aziz Shawish [‘Abd al-‘Azīz Shāwīsh] (ff 61-65).
- Secret reports from MI1 (Military Intelligence, Section 1), reporting intelligence relating to Egypt, Turkey and Germany (ff 47-58).
- Papers reporting on the movements and actions in 1917 of the ex-Khedive of Egypt [‘Abbās Ḥilmī Pasha], including his relations with Turkish officials (ff 5-36).
The volume’s principal correspondents are: the British Ambassador at Berne, Switzerland (Evelyn Mountstuart Grant Duff, Horace George Montagu Rumbold); the Foreign Office (chiefly Ralph Spencer Paget); the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. (Arthur Hirtzel, John Evelyn Shuckburgh).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (124 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
The subject 3136 (German War) consists of 6 volumes, IOR/L/PS/10/462-467. The volumes are divided into 6 parts, with each part comprising one volume. The part numbers are: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7. There is no part 3.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 126; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 3136/1914 Pt 7 ‘German War. Turkey. Situation in Egypt &c.’ [65v] (135/256), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/467, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100038076329.0x000088> [accessed 22 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100038076329.0x000088">File 3136/1914 Pt 7 ‘German War. Turkey. Situation in Egypt &c.’ [‎65v] (135/256)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100038076329.0x000088"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x00016a/IOR_L_PS_10_467_0135.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 3136/1914 Pt 7 ‘German War. Turkey. Situation in Egypt &c.’
- ‘Abd al-‘Azīz Shāwīsh
- Usage terms
- The copyright status is unknown. Please contact [email protected] with any information you have regarding this item.