'File 4/1 General Information regarding Kuwait and Hinterland' [200r] (399/474)
The record is made up of 1 file (235 folios). It was created in 1933-1948. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
W H 0 « S WHO Uf - J $ C A_I
Saiyld Abbas bin Faiaal
Son of Saiyld Faisal by an African wife. Speaks
English well, and is an active man. Recently appointed to
the charge of the Public Health Department, where he has
done good work in the anti-malarial lina.
Shaikh 1 Abd allah bln Si'ld.
One of the Shaikhs of the Ban! Hasan (Ja'alan area).
Is liked by the Sultan. At feud with Shaikh All bln
•Abdullah (q.T. ) , (a) traditionally, and (b) as a result of
the murder of the latter's 0* dh l-» 'Abdullah ar-Rawwaf in
1940 by Ban! Hasan.
Shaikh All bln 'Abdullah
Leader of the Ban! Bu Ali (JaUlan area). Receives
a monthly salary of M.T. jS 200 from the Sultan, who probably
entertains the hope that he will one day help him against
the Imam. At feud with Snaikh Abdullah bin Sa'id,
Brother of the Imam, and Wali of Boshar. Might
possibly be elected Imam if his brother diedf but is not
himself particularly influential. Has been in Muscat
service for 29 years (1942), for most of whicn he has
held his present Wilayat. Boshar was rather a backwater
About this item
This file contains a number of reports concerning different aspects of life in Kuwait, including its geography, history, flora and fauna, weather, political administration and leading personalities. Unless otherwise stated, the reports' author is Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Richard Patrick Dickson (the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait).
The reports appear as follows:
- Note on Kuwait in 1933 incorporating Geography, Administration, History and Trade (folios 2-62)
- Note on Villages of Kuwait State (folios 63-76)
- Note on the Various Districts in Kuwait, Kuwait Neutral Zone, Summan Area , Hussaim and Suda (folios 77-104)
- Notes on the "Batin" Valley, and "Dibdibba" Country (folios 105-120)
- Note on the "Shaqq" Depression (folios 121-123)
- Note on "Failakah" Island (folios 124-130)
- Note on Native Craft of Kuwait (folios 131-135)
- Note on the Prevailing Winds of Kuwait (folios 136-138)
- Note on the Different Kinds of Fish found at Kuwait (folios 139-144)
- Notes on the Drinking Water (Wells, etc) available in Kuwait Town, in Case of Military or Naval Operations (folios 145-147)
- Notes on Personalities in Kuwait (folios 148-154)
- Notes on Kuwait (folios 155-159)
- A report on Kuwait Dhows (with odd notes attached at rear) written by Alan Villiers in 1939 (folios 160-183)
- Leading Personalities of Kuwait written by Major Tom Hickinbotham in 1942 (folios 187-198)
- Who's Who in Muscat written by John Baron Howes in 1942 (folios 199-209)
- Conditions in Kuwait written by Major Maurice Patrick O'Connor Tandy in 1947 (folios 226-228)
Some of the reports contain handwritten notes in Arabic, notably when giving place names and geographical information.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (235 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the front to the rear of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the last folio with 237; these numbers are written in pencil and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 4/1 General Information regarding Kuwait and Hinterland' [200r] (399/474), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/5/179, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/mirador/81055/vdc_100040050674.0x0000c8> [accessed 25 May 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100040050674.0x0000c8">'File 4/1 General Information regarding Kuwait and Hinterland' [‎200r] (399/474)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100040050674.0x0000c8"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000831.0x0000a6/IOR_R_15_5_179_0399.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 4/1 General Information regarding Kuwait and Hinterland'
- front, front-i, 2r:237v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence