Coll 6/66 'Saudi-Arabia: Saudi-Transjordan Frontier' [26r] (51/427)
The record is made up of 1 file (212 folios). It was created in 3 Apr 1934-6 Mar 1940. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Decypher. Sir r. Ryan ( -•edda
jj. 9. SO a. ill.
R s il.4.0 a.in.
KO 91 Sr RIB i .i'-191'•.
Parch 51st 1955.
April 1st 1956.
Aoril 1 st 1956.
^ /\ ^ /\ /N /X
Your telegram do.59.
Fuad replied orally March 50th to my statement of
March 16th. He was most insistent that there could be no
departure from text of Kadda agreement, ad ter much talk
around the subject, in the course of which I dropped one
first proposal in oaragraph 5 of nr. Rendel s letuer to him
of July 19th, he put forward what he described as a
combination of Mr. Mendel’s alternative proposal and his own
as stated in paragraph 10 of that letter. His idea was to
adopt suggestion in the first sentence of paragraph 6 of
Mr. Rendel’s letter and when geographical facts had been
ascertained to Jfffect delimitation on the lines ox his own
proposal in paragraphhe would have nothing to do with
ki\ Mendel’s proposals in paragraph 7.
2 . I said merely to test his position that adoption
of first sentence of paragraph 6 as first stage might lead
up more naturally to Fuad’s alternative proposal pcLrcigj.aph
He demurred but modified his original statement by
suggesting second stage would combine both of nip own
proposals in paragraphandI insisted chat he was
ignoring the difficulty arising fmm inaccuracies in 1910
map and pressed him to define more exactly viiat nis second
About this item
This file primarily concerns British policy on the question of the Saudi-Transjordan frontier, specifically the frontier between Transjordan and Nejd, as initially outlined in the Hadda Agreement of 1925.
The correspondence includes discussion of the following:
- The reported disaffection of certain Saudi tribes in the Jauf [Al Jawf] and Teima [Taymā’] areas.
- Difficulties arising from inaccuracies discovered on a 1918 map of the frontier, on which the Hadda agreement was based.
- Saudi Government complaints regarding the alleged violation of the Saudi frontier by British aeroplanes and soldiers at Thaniyya Taraif [Thanīyat Ţurayf, Saudi Arabia].
- A proposal made by Fuad Bey Hamza, Deputy Minister for Saudi Foreign Affairs, during a meeting at the Foreign Office in July 1935, that the frontier should be that which is shown on the 1918 map, regardless of the map's inaccuracies (a proposal that the British authorities in Transjordan encourage the Foreign Office to accept).
- Reports of infringements of the existing frontier by Saudi patrols.
- The British response to Ibn Saud's [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd] claim to the districts of Akaba [Aqaba] and Maan [Ma‘ān] in Transjordan.
The file also includes the following:
- Compiled notes of correspondence relating to the Treaty of Jedda (1927) and its modification (and more specifically, to the question of the Hejaz-Transjordan frontier) exchanged between Sir Gilbert Clayton and Ibn Saud (1927), and between the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and the Minister for Saudi Foreign Affairs (1936).
- Copies of the minutes of meetings of the Committee of Imperial Defence's Standing Official Sub-Committee for Questions Concerning the Middle East, concerning the Saudi-Transjordan frontier (and, in one instance, also addressing the Island of Tamb in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. ).
- Copies of the minutes of interdepartmental meetings regarding the Saudi-Transjordan frontier, held at the Colonial Office (7 January 1935) and Foreign Office (28 September 1934) respectively.
- Two sketch maps depicting disputed territory near the frontier.
The file features the following principal correspondents: His Majesty's Minister at Jedda (Sir Andrew Ryan, succeeded by Sir Reader William Bullard); His Majesty's Chargé d'Affaires to Jedda (Albert Spencer Calvert); John Bagot Glubb, Acting Officer Commanding the Arab Legion; the Air Officer Commanding Palestine and Transjordan (Richard Edmund Charles Peirse); the Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs [Fayṣal bin ‘Abd al-‘Azīz Āl Sa‘ūd]; officials of the Foreign Office, the Colonial Office, the Air Ministry, and the War Office.
The file includes a divider which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the file by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence (folio 2).
- Extent and format
- 1 file (212 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the last folio with 213; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 2-209; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 6/66 'Saudi-Arabia: Saudi-Transjordan Frontier' [26r] (51/427), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2133, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100040939863.0x000034> [accessed 15 September 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100040939863.0x000034">Coll 6/66 'Saudi-Arabia: Saudi-Transjordan Frontier' [‎26r] (51/427)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100040939863.0x000034"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000555.0x00029f/IOR_L_PS_12_2133_0052.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 6/66 'Saudi-Arabia: Saudi-Transjordan Frontier'
- front, front-i, 2r:5v, 7r:7v, 9r:79v, 81r:172v, 174r:213v, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence