Coll 28/22 ’Persia; Relations with H.M.G. Persian Debt to H.M.G.’ [34r] (67/385)
The record is made up of 1 file (191 folios). It was created in 12 Jun 1931-1 Mar 1940. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
an understanding such as the Foreign Office and the
Treasury suggest, and I should be grateful if you could
let us know whether they would be prepared to agree to
it. The present text of the draft Article is as shown
in the appendix to the Foreign Office demi official of
Could you also say whether you concur in the
present text of paragraph 3 of Article XIII?
(o) Articles XIV, XV and .X VI of the Treaty raise no
7. While we should of course welcome any comment
which the Government of India mav care to offer on the
draft Treaty, the only points on which we have felt unabl
finally to commit ourselves pending an expression of thei
views are those referred to in paragraph 6(a), (d), (1),
(m) end (n) above, on which we should be grateful if you
could telegraph as early as possible. Perhaps you would
also let us know whether you agree as regards the point
referred to in paragraph 6(c^
J. C. VALTOH,
About this item
Correspondence concerning the Persian Government’s desire, signalled in June 1931, to pay off in full a pre-war interest-bearing debt owed to Britain, totalling £490,000. Correspondence is chiefly exchanged between the Foreign Office (Charles William Baxter, George William Rendel), the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. (John Gilbert Laithwaite), the Treasury (Thomas Kenneth Bewley), and the British Legation at Tehran (Charles Dodd), and covers:
- The wording of a formal response to be given to the Persian Government, that does not comprise or jeopardise the outstanding (post-war) debt of £1,510,000 remaining to be paid.
- The nature of the servicing of the debt and its interest.
- In late August 1931, the Persian Ministry of Finance’s decision to abandon service of the debt, and continue payment of interest on the debt at seven per cent.
- In 1932, the Persian Ministry of Finance’s reversal of their earlier decision to abandon servicing of the debt.
- In June 1933, confirmation via the Imperial Bank of Persia of the full servicing of the pre-war debt.
- India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. correspondence dated October 1933, enclosing a provisional draft of instructions for a General Treaty between Britain and Persia, making mention of the outstanding debt owed by Persia to Britain (ff 16-34).
The file contains two letters in French (f 42, f 47), sent by the Treasury General of the Persian Ministry of Finance.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (191 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the last folio with 192; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 28/22 ’Persia; Relations with H.M.G. Persian Debt to H.M.G.’ [34r] (67/385), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/3419, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100041980874.0x000046> [accessed 22 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100041980874.0x000046">Coll 28/22 ’Persia; Relations with H.M.G. Persian Debt to H.M.G.’ [‎34r] (67/385)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100041980874.0x000046"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000602.0x0003cc/IOR_L_PS_12_3419_0070.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 28/22 ’Persia; Relations with H.M.G. Persian Debt to H.M.G.’
- front, front-i, 2r:40v, 44r:44v, 48r:60v, 62r:82v, 85r:103v, 105r:107v, 109r:110v, 113r:192v, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence