Coll 29/28 'Meshed: office allowance and consulate buildings' [38r] (77/343)
The record is made up of 1 file (170 folios). It was created in 15 Jul 1922-9 Jan 1940. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
From - The Addl. Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
in the Foreign and political Department.
To - His Majesty's Consul General for Khorasan.
Dated Simla, the 8th August 1935.
Proposed increase in the Khorasan and zahidan office
allowance grants owing to fluctuation of exchange.
Reference correspondence ending with your express
letter No. 728 /a/IO dated the 18th June 1935.
2. In order to meet the position due to the fluctuation
in the Rial exchange, the Government of India have had under
consideration the following alternative proposals:-
(a) Fixation of a portion of the office allowance
grants in the local currency without reference
to any fixed or fluctuating exchange rate,
(b) Drawal of the office allowance grants at a fixed
rate of Rials 600 to Rs. 100 - the office allowance
in rupee terms remaining as at present, the
difference on account of exchange being adjusted
by the Accountant General, Central Revenues, under
'Loss by exchange' and
(c) The continuance of the existing system of
sanctioning increases in the office allowance grants
in terms of rupees on account of fall in exchange, if
and when there is an abnormal fall in the value of
the rupee currency.
3. After careful consideration the Government of India
have decided that the existing practice, i.e. the proposal
at 2(c) above, should continue, particularly as it appears
that the exchange position is improving. It is therefore
requested that the exchange position for the current
About this item
The file concerns the British Vice Consulate at Meshed (Mashhad, Iran).
The file covers:
- office allowance and pay, in 1923
- proposal to transfer the Consulate outside the town, in 1928, rejected by the Government of India for financial reasons
- report of fire broken out on 14 October 1929 in the Consulate building, and repairs needed
- supply of fire extinguishers
- encroachment made on Consulate property by a neighbour
- appointment of Attaché, in 1932
- estimates for special works to be done in 1934
- office allowance increase, in 1935
- street-widening scheme affecting Consulate property, 1936
- claim from Iranian Authorities for asphalting footpath in front of Consulate, in 1938
- replacement of motor lorry, in 1939.
The file is composed of internal correspondence between the Foreign Office, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , the Government of India, the British Consulate at Meshed (Khorasan), the Viceroy, the British Legation at Tehran, and the Office of Works.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (170 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence for this description commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the last folio with 171; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 29/28 'Meshed: office allowance and consulate buildings' [38r] (77/343), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/3585, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100042031818.0x00004e> [accessed 21 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100042031818.0x00004e">Coll 29/28 'Meshed: office allowance and consulate buildings' [‎38r] (77/343)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100042031818.0x00004e"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000648.0x000093/IOR_L_PS_12_3585_0078.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 29/28 'Meshed: office allowance and consulate buildings'
- front, front-i, 2r, back-i, back, 2v:171r
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence