‘REPORT ON THE MISSION TO SEISTAN, 1897’ [front] (1/134)
The record is made up of 1 volume (63 folios). It was created in 1898. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers Documents collected in a private capacity. .
About this item
The volume consists of a report by Surgeon-Major George Washington Brazier-Creagh on his mission to Seistan [Sīstān] on ‘plague duty’ to investigate the closure of the Perso-Afghan-Baluch trade routes under the ‘mantle of plague’ from April to October 1897. The report is divided into five sections:
- The Outward Journey: A general account of the journey across the Baluchistan Desert – folios 5-7.
- A general history of the Mission and condition of affairs in Seistan – folios 8-13r.
- An account of influential chiefs and material connected with the administration of Seistan – folios 13v-15r.
- The Return Journey: A review of road infrastructure and trade prospects – folios 16-17.
- A review of the strategic and political outlook – folios 17-18.
The remainder of the volume (folios 20-58) consists of appendices. A pocket on the inside back cover contains five folded maps (folios 60-64).
On the front cover, it bears two stamps reading ‘War Office. Library. 14 Dec 1889’ and ‘Intelligence Division. 14 Dec 1889’ respectively.
Published in Calcutta by the Office of the Superintendent of Government Printing, India (1898).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (63 folios)
The report is divided into five sections with appendices at the back of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 65; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
Pagination: the file also contains an original printed pagination sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘REPORT ON THE MISSION TO SEISTAN, 1897’ [front] (1/134), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/20/33, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100044160194.0x000002> [accessed 7 December 2023]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100044160194.0x000002">‘REPORT ON THE MISSION TO SEISTAN, 1897’ [‎front] (1/134)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100044160194.0x000002"> <img src="https://iiif.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000884.0x0003a3/IOR_L_PS_20_33_0001.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘REPORT ON THE MISSION TO SEISTAN, 1897’
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:24v, 27r:29v, 31v:59v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence