Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [660r] (1324/1452)
The record is made up of 1 volume (721 folios). It was created in 17 Aug 1932-31 Jan 1934. It was written in English and Turkish. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
> tut sty
; mi k‘
»*in fear i® a® regards the large garden, ©f Al
oontainlng 400 jarib®.
0. A« to the • istory of th© prooeedlng® up to the date of
filing the aetion in the Basrah Court of S-irst Inatanoa in
respect of the Baahiya garden, 1 see no reason not to accept
the statement of Abdul. Asia *i Salim el Bader set out cm
pages 1 A 2 of the translation of his note and 1 agree with
trie statement on page 3 of the letter from the Political.
Resident in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. dated 11.7.1933 that there is no
•loubt that it was a bona fide iranaaetion end, that the
p**r«hn#« price wms paid.*
9. 1 will new rsummri®® tha cas# aiid th€ finding®. mis
will enable you to follow Hi# complicated series of facts
set out in this report*
A* sues B. for m declaration ©f ownership .in a piece of Marl
land arid for an Injunction against B*
A* proTes ownorship of hmr aneester*
B* sets up sale dated l$%? i*e. 13th larch 1909 by ancestor
of A* ta ancestor of B* by means of ordinary unregistered
Held this 3m®6 cannot pass awnsrshipj
(a) It has not the consent of the Itewur Tmm necessary in
1327 under section 36 Land Law for feiri L
(h) fhe transfer is not registered In Tamt mid i^ therefor#
to id vid# section 1. Transfer of Possession of Isssewahi#
Property Act 1329 and mmovm&ti decisions since Irada
San iy nt 1318.
B. then sets up limitation*
(1) Under Indian limitation Act 12 years period under article
144 and he claims possession for more than 12 years prior
to Be seal of tint Act by Basrah Law# fiepesl Act 1920.
(2) Under article 20 Land Code* 10 years is sufficient.
Held fey court*
Under the Indian limitation Act th# period run# frois date of
eanad 13.2*1909 (21st luharram 1327) to 30.9.1920 Basrah Lm
Repeal Act i.e. 11 year# f# months. further the court
refused to hear witness## that B* had possess#'.! the lam! pri.er
to date of sale feecause the Senad of Sale on which ht himself
relies state that the .teller wa# in possession up to date of
About this item
The volume consists of extensive correspondence, memoranda and reports regarding the Faddaghiyeh Estates of the Shaikh of Kuwait, changes made to their tax-exempt status, and lawsuits regarding their ownership.
The records provide details of the lawsuits brought against the Shaikh of Kuwait in the Iraqi courts by the heirs of the previous owners of the Bashiyeh and Faddaghiyeh properties. These rested on claims that the original sales were not correctly registered with the Tapu Department under the old Ottoman Law, as the Shaikh had refused to take out Turkish nationality papers. The file also concerns changes to the tax-exempt status of the date gardens, following the instigation of the Istihlak tax by the Government of Iraq. Questions arose as to whether the Government of Iraq was obligated to guarantee the tax-exempt status originally granted by HM Government ( HMG Her or His Majesty’s Government in London. ), and whether HMG Her or His Majesty’s Government in London. was obligated to compensate the Shaikh for loss of revenue. The correspondence on file primarily concerns attempts by British Officials to defend the Shaikh's status as owner of the date gardens, and discussions about possible compensation.
The principal correspondents and authors are: the High Commissioner for Iraq (Francis Henry Humphrys), the Colonial Office, the Foreign Office, the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait (Harold Richard Patrick Dickson), the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. (Hugh Vincent Biscoe), HM Ambassador to Iraq, HM Counsellor to HM Embassy, Iraq (Sir George Arthur Ogilvie-Forbes), and the Legal Secretary to the High Commissioner for Iraq (John Harry Barclay Nihill). The volume also contains translations of letters received from the Shaikh of Kuwait (Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ), his Basra Agent (Abdul Aziz as Salim al-Badr), his lawyer (Jacob Gabriel), and the Government of Iraq.
The following reports and legal documents appear within the volume:
- Memorandum prepared by the Judicial Advisor to the High Commissioner for Iraq (G Alexander), regarding attempts made to deprive the Shaikh of Kuwait of certain of his date gardens, ff 658-679.
- Translation of judgement No. 77/930, issued on 30th December 1931 by the Court of First Instance, Basrah; and translation of decree No. 66/932 dated 9 May 1932, issued by the Court of Appeal, Baghdad, for service on the Shaikh of Kuwait, ff 634-644.
- Short histories of the Shaikh of Kuwait's Bashiyeh and Faddighiyeh gardens on the Shatt al Arab from the time of their purchase to date, written by the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait, ff 621-629.
- List of persons to be served with legal documents from the Court of First Instance, Basrah, f 533.
- 'The Date Gardens in Iraq of the Sheikhs of Koweit and Mohammerah. Scope of Undertakings given by HM Government in 1914. Case for the Opinion of the Law Officers of the Crown, and Opinion Thereof', ff 458-476.
- Explanatory notes with accompanying sketch map of the Faddaghiyeh Estate, ff 205-209.
- English translations of the four Tapu deeds connected with the Faddaghiyeh Estate dispute (deeds originally dated August 1915), ff 90-99.
- Copy power of attorney document, written in Turkish, issued by the TC Asliye Mahkemesi Altinci Hukuk Dairesi 6 [Turkish Republic Civil Court of First Instance, 6th Law Department] on the 15 Ramandan 1326  in favour of Ahmet Pasha Kazim Azzubair, ff 78-80.
The file continues with Collection 17/8 part 2, reference IOR/L/PS/12/2854.
The volume includes dividers which give lists of correspondence references found within the volume by year. These are placed at the end of the correspondence (folios 4-5).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (721 folios)
The papers are arranged in rough chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 723; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. Two additional foliation sequences are also present in parallel between ff 4-721, and ff 695-721; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English and Turkish in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [660r] (1324/1452), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2853, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x00007d> [accessed 15 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x00007d">Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [‎660r] (1324/1452)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x00007d"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000602.0x00018b/IOR_L_PS_12_2853_1324.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:22v, 24r:41v, 43r:72v, 74r:78v, 81r:88v, 90r:100v, 104r:112v, 114r:155v, 157r:159v, 163r:168v, 170r:198v, 200r:289v, 293r:310v, 312r:462v, 467r:467v, 469v:531v, 534r:596v, 598r:613v, 615r:618v, 620r:633v, 645r:678v, 680r:705v, 717r:718v, 722r:723v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence