Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [664r] (1332/1452)
The record is made up of 1 volume (721 folios). It was created in 17 Aug 1932-31 Jan 1934. It was written in English and Turkish. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
•• 7 *“
^ii*i notion thsar# do#®- bm% %% raised %
of limitation on wfeleh ymi h&ro laid so much a trass but In fact
In the see end hearing this point ms ®x prosaic raised and re
corded. in the 5 dhaht and formd the min grounds of
tafcia in the second ap^al#
14♦ At this stags 1 will sot out the dates of the dlf
decisions* ..hey are:
14-4-.il claim dismissed by Mr Hooper for lack of prosecu
tion* fhls is a very ordinary step in a ease and I see no
reason to eomment on the remarks of the defendant 1 & agent to
. fel » SSs
the effect that at that date i*#* before
was cosrimced of the Justice of defendant 1 ® ca^e and for that
reesonplaintlff witlxdxew her power of attorney from her
adrOcste and allowed the case to he dismissed for default. If
itr Hooper really was. se enough to shew his intentions
before giving "Inal judgment# it is quite und© r s land ah [email protected] why
the plaintiff dropped the ease hmt I really have no grounds
on which to say that this was the reason why the plaintiff
dropped the case, there may he a dosen reasons*
On S-5-,4 the plaintiff applied to continue the case by
opposition to the judgment of dismissal* The ease was heard
on the 7th of July X^ol by the Vice-president and the judgment
was given on 15-7-1^1, in favour of the defendant i.e. of the
Shoi'kh of kuweit diaissing the case an the ground that an
action must firstly be filed to cancel the deed of sale of the
21s„ Muharram before any action could be filed based on owner
ship claiming matt* 1 um*urate®# 3© far as the alXegation of
the Hheikh of &molt against the bona fides of the Iraqi
judge® is ounce rue u« I eaunet see that he oau ©ompXalu of
this judgment in his favour but I now draw your attention to
fact that although Mr Hooper was known to be leaving Basrah no
application was made to m as :,resident Court of Cassation by
Mohatmed Hffendi ^asfl# the Hheikh , s advocate, to transfer the
ease to another court. If the dheikh^ agent had then
About this item
The volume consists of extensive correspondence, memoranda and reports regarding the Faddaghiyeh Estates of the Shaikh of Kuwait, changes made to their tax-exempt status, and lawsuits regarding their ownership.
The records provide details of the lawsuits brought against the Shaikh of Kuwait in the Iraqi courts by the heirs of the previous owners of the Bashiyeh and Faddaghiyeh properties. These rested on claims that the original sales were not correctly registered with the Tapu Department under the old Ottoman Law, as the Shaikh had refused to take out Turkish nationality papers. The file also concerns changes to the tax-exempt status of the date gardens, following the instigation of the Istihlak tax by the Government of Iraq. Questions arose as to whether the Government of Iraq was obligated to guarantee the tax-exempt status originally granted by HM Government ( HMG Her or His Majesty’s Government in London. ), and whether HMG Her or His Majesty’s Government in London. was obligated to compensate the Shaikh for loss of revenue. The correspondence on file primarily concerns attempts by British Officials to defend the Shaikh's status as owner of the date gardens, and discussions about possible compensation.
The principal correspondents and authors are: the High Commissioner for Iraq (Francis Henry Humphrys), the Colonial Office, the Foreign Office, the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait (Harold Richard Patrick Dickson), the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. (Hugh Vincent Biscoe), HM Ambassador to Iraq, HM Counsellor to HM Embassy, Iraq (Sir George Arthur Ogilvie-Forbes), and the Legal Secretary to the High Commissioner for Iraq (John Harry Barclay Nihill). The volume also contains translations of letters received from the Shaikh of Kuwait (Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ), his Basra Agent (Abdul Aziz as Salim al-Badr), his lawyer (Jacob Gabriel), and the Government of Iraq.
The following reports and legal documents appear within the volume:
- Memorandum prepared by the Judicial Advisor to the High Commissioner for Iraq (G Alexander), regarding attempts made to deprive the Shaikh of Kuwait of certain of his date gardens, ff 658-679.
- Translation of judgement No. 77/930, issued on 30th December 1931 by the Court of First Instance, Basrah; and translation of decree No. 66/932 dated 9 May 1932, issued by the Court of Appeal, Baghdad, for service on the Shaikh of Kuwait, ff 634-644.
- Short histories of the Shaikh of Kuwait's Bashiyeh and Faddighiyeh gardens on the Shatt al Arab from the time of their purchase to date, written by the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. , Kuwait, ff 621-629.
- List of persons to be served with legal documents from the Court of First Instance, Basrah, f 533.
- 'The Date Gardens in Iraq of the Sheikhs of Koweit and Mohammerah. Scope of Undertakings given by HM Government in 1914. Case for the Opinion of the Law Officers of the Crown, and Opinion Thereof', ff 458-476.
- Explanatory notes with accompanying sketch map of the Faddaghiyeh Estate, ff 205-209.
- English translations of the four Tapu deeds connected with the Faddaghiyeh Estate dispute (deeds originally dated August 1915), ff 90-99.
- Copy power of attorney document, written in Turkish, issued by the TC Asliye Mahkemesi Altinci Hukuk Dairesi 6 [Turkish Republic Civil Court of First Instance, 6th Law Department] on the 15 Ramandan 1326  in favour of Ahmet Pasha Kazim Azzubair, ff 78-80.
The file continues with Collection 17/8 part 2, reference IOR/L/PS/12/2854.
The volume includes dividers which give lists of correspondence references found within the volume by year. These are placed at the end of the correspondence (folios 4-5).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (721 folios)
The papers are arranged in rough chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 723; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. Two additional foliation sequences are also present in parallel between ff 4-721, and ff 695-721; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English and Turkish in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [664r] (1332/1452), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2853, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x000085> [accessed 10 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x000085">Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq' [‎664r] (1332/1452)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100047240766.0x000085"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000602.0x00018b/IOR_L_PS_12_2853_1332.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 17/8(1) 'Shaikh of Koweit: Date Gardens of the Sheikh in Iraq'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:22v, 24r:41v, 43r:72v, 74r:78v, 81r:88v, 90r:100v, 104r:112v, 114r:155v, 157r:159v, 163r:168v, 170r:198v, 200r:289v, 293r:310v, 312r:462v, 467r:467v, 469v:531v, 534r:596v, 598r:613v, 615r:618v, 620r:633v, 645r:678v, 680r:705v, 717r:718v, 722r:723v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence